- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Smitty muflers?

Hi all,

Anyone heard of Smitty muflers. Any good?

I friend put a set in a 2" dual system under his '67 D*dge Coronet with a 318 in it. Sounded awesome. Very nice burble on idle and a good deep throaty roar on acelleration but not too over the top. [well fairly over the top actually!!].

Doea anyone know how they compare to Flowmasters etc for price/ performance/ flow?

thanks all!

[img]smile.gif[/img]
    <br />'65 Skylark 2 door post with plans for a 425 dual quad and switch pitch but in need of pretty much everything - what have u?!

I think you're looking for Smithy's

Oh boy do I feel like a hick! - I was just reading Hot Rods by Pete & Jake with a coffee after lunch on the deck in the sun yesterday [as you do in England at the end of January never mind we havean 18 degree wind chill coming tomorrow and I have to go to Czechslovakia where it'll be even colder!!!] and there it was ....

page 8 - Pete's dad had a '39 Ford convertible with Smitty mufflers and tailpipes made out of '36 Frod driveshaft tubes.!

There was also an entry on page 27 where Car Craft took a '66 Gran Sport to the Early Times car club for their opinion. It was 'the car's a bash and handles boss'. ANyone care to translate from the Californian for me!!!!!

<br />'65 Skylark 2 door post with plans for a 425 dual quad and switch pitch but in need of pretty much everything - what have u?!

Nailhead_Sled Guest

Smithy's to Flowmaster's is the age old apples to oranges comparison.
    Smithy's are your quintessential ‘rod’ mufflers, producing an aggressive raspy sound while on the throttle and providing a great mellow rumble at idle and crusing speeds.
    Flowmasters I have never been too fond of. Most likely because every Tom, **** and Harry has a set on their Rustang or Slomaro, not to mention the annoying droning at certain speeds. Granted they do offer several series of mufflers each with their own tone, but in my most humble of opinions they all sound way too similar.
    Price wise, you can have a pair of Smithy’s for the price of one Flowmaster.

Naihead sled!

Awesome,

I'm sold, just what I want!!! Where do I get a pair of Smittys from??

best regards
    nick S [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Nailhead Sled, Great ***** of fire!,

Hi just checked your link. Seems a good place to get them from - they look like a set fo cherry Bombs.

Does anyone have any advice on what length to get/ what length will fit under the Skylark?

Would the 2 inch ID be too narrow for the Nailhead engine. [I still have the ol 225 ci V6 in the best since I haven't rebuilt the Nailhead yet].

I guess they'd be fine for the V6.
    best regards
    nickS

Nailhead_Sled Guest

Nick, as for case length, it is generally excepted that the shorter the muffler the louder the exhaust note. I would imagine that +/- 8” won’t make that much of an issue regarding location under you ‘lark.
    Considering you are replacing the restrictive, crappy factory original single exhaust set-up, a 2” diameter dual system would allow your motor to breathe much easier.
    Unless you are building a real fire breathing Nailhead, I would not worry about ‘only’ having a 2” system.
    Oh…and the reason they look like Cherry Bombs is because they are of a similar design. The difference being where Cherry Bombs use fiberglass for packing the Smithy’s use steel packing, thus generating the unique tone.

Nailhead Sled,
    Thanks for the info. Speedway finally wrote me back the other day enquiring about how I wanted it shipped - $85 to the UK not good! [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img]

I saw a set at a swap meet the other weekend - he wanted about the $85 shipping cost for them - £50. I thought I would be clever and go back later and do a deal but he ahd sold one of them! How can you sell just one!!! [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
    Thanks for the info on length - I think I'll go and get the longest to be a 'bit' conservative. What do you think?

The others were 22" - the shortest ones. Maybe they were for sale becuase the were toooo loud??

Interesting to know about the steel packing - thanks. Now I can figure how they get the tone.

Actually I have a fully dual system on the car - but it's a 225ci V6 - which will be shortly making way for a full house 425 dual quad - but you've still got to have yoru toys during the process.

I'm currently doing brakes and front end rebuild etc to make it handle better before I put the mad motor in.

Actually at the swap meet I picked up a pair of offset upper arms part number 917 2003 but I'm not sure they're right for the '81 B body spindles and '65 A body combination.

I'll hav to call Speedway and see when I discuss the shipping.

thanks & best regards
    Nick

How LOUD are Smithy's 31"-33" Mufflers.
    I have a 56' 322 Nailhead, with Duel Exhaust. I need a Complete Exhaust System. Smithy's Long Mufflers are comperable in Size to the Stock Mufflers. Will I still be able to hear the Radio IF I Install a Set of Smithy's? I want the Sound 2 B Boss, Kool, Deep and Raspy, but I don't want Overkill.
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

I think they'd be fine. I suggest you try them - they are only abot $15 each so not big deal if they're too quiet. You can always get shorter ones and trade the longer ones.

Just remember not to throw all the old piping you cut out away so you can put some back in!!!