- Carter Dual 4-barrel Carburetors, Linkage Sticking
- Buick Cam Specifications for 401 and 425 nailheads
- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Exhaust castings idenitfication - part numbers: Left side: B1366827 2D Right side: B

Dear All,

Can you lease help me. I am rebuilding my dual qual 425 Super Wildcat. I got the following exhaust castings and wondered what they are from.

The part numbers are Left side: B1366827 2D, right side: B136 e g 1860 2D - not sure on the right hand number - it's a little worn!

The look like they may be off a Riviera since I was looking at one the other day and the left hand one seems to be the same shape - a very long log shape with a downturn at the far end which seemed to be to provide clearance over the steering box.

The right one is a more normal branched shape.

Can anybody positively idenitfy them for me please?

Secondy are they any good for a low rpm torquemonster engine?

Thirdly, will they fit the 425 and in my '65 Skylark frame - either with or without the inner fender panels removed.

regards, thanks & Happy Holidays
    <br />'65 Skylark 2 door post with plans for a 425 dual quad and switch pitch but in need of pretty much everything - what have u?!

HI guys - anyone know waht tehse are off of - my Guess is a '65 Rv.

Am I right??
    <br />'65 Skylark 2 door post with plans for a 425 dual quad and switch pitch but in need of pretty much everything - what have u?!

Arrow

If they are out of a Riviera, or even a Wildcat, then they definately won't fit the Skylark without major modifications. The manifolds you need, and the only ones that fit correctly, are the ones for a Skylark GranSport. Those are the ones made to work with the nailhead in the Buick itermediate bodies. Those look like the ones for sale here;

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33950
    A pair of 65 Super Wildcat 425 dual quad two door hardtops and a 65 Wildcat four door sedan

Hi Dual qwad,

No they don't look like those you directed me to, the look more like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2458579426

The casting numbers could be the same - Could be B-1356 689-D or B-1356 889-D for the left and could be B-1369 308-D for the right. Mine are a little worm.

They're more this shape though.

When you say 'won't fit' what exactly do you mean? What do they foul? The steering gear, the chassis rails? the suspension top arms?

I'd be grateful for advice.

best regards
    Nick

The manifolds shown in your link appear to be for either the Riviera or the big cars and, as I have been told, do not fit the skylark chassis.
    I have no first hand experience trying to make them work but I do know that Buick made manifolds specificaly to use the Nailhead in the Skylarks for a reason.
    (Why else would they if there was already a part in service that would fit)
    Judging by the looks of them, the passenger side outlet would leave little room to mount an exhaust pipe, if not hit the firewall, in the Skylark chassis and the driver side would probably interfere with the steering column shaft.
    They both appear like they would not clear the upper control arms and mounts.
    Here is a set that are sure to work and, so far, at a fairly decent price;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2459373822
    A pair of 65 Super Wildcat 425 dual quad two door hardtops and a 65 Wildcat four door sedan

Unhappy

Nick

the exaust manifolds for the 65-66 GS, were specifically designed for the 401 GS only.
    I have a pair in the garage that I will get the casting #'s off tomorrow and post.

the only way to put the nailhead in a skylark is with tube headers or the stock 65-66 GS manifolds.

the left side is the worst to do, as it has to be bolted to the engine BEFORE it is dropped in the frame. Wait till you have to change a starter with this combination!!

al [img]graemlins/finishflag.gif[/img]
    Al
    65 GS Conv.

Hi Nick
    looking thru e-bay, and ran across a set of exhaust manifolds.
    The price is at 102.50 with 19 hrs. to go.
    THE GOOD THING IS THEY HAVE THE CORRECT PICTURES OF WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE.
    E-BAY #2459373822. at least this way you will know what they look like.

al
    Al
    65 GS Conv.

Hi Al and dualqwad,

Thanks for the info - missed these! went for $177 though.

Now I know what the look like.

So you think the big car manifolds will direct the pipes straight to the firewall on the right and interfere with the steering on the left. I certainly was worried about the steering on the left.

Is there any difference in the maifolds in the big cars - are the all the same or are the Riv and le Sabre ones different?

Are headers beter than the original GS manifolds?

Thanks
    Nick
    [img]smile.gif[/img]

Unhappy

Nick

The big car manifolds will definatly interfer with the fire wall, steering gear and frame. Probably the best alternative would be the tube headers. There is another set of manifolds on e-play for 250.00 buy now, but with shipping you may be better off with the tube headers.

One other thing, I assume you have the oil pan and pickup tube from a GS for your 425 as they are differant.

Hope this helps

Al [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
    Al
    65 GS Conv.

Al,

Thanks for the info. I missed out on a set of mainfolds on ebay last night -
    I got outbid by $2.50 in the last 12 seconds by someone called nailheadpoweredgs. Does anyone know him? He came in with 6 seconds to go and whacked in a $140.50 bid. I bid $118 and then upped it to $138 for insurance and he got in a the very last minute. When my browser refreshed I was staring at an outbid notice with 1 second to go!! I'm still smarting!

Are the headers better than the manifolds? I'm more interested in huge low end of idle torque rather than top end power.
    Are there any hot start issues with headers in such a tight space? I had awful hot start problems with headers on a '66 Mustang I used to own. It fried a starter every 9 months and getting it out was a right pig.

I'm aware of the pick up tube thing - and the dipstck and oil pan. Carmen has offered me an oil tube at a fairly reasonable price so I'll add this to my shopping list.

I might have to go fabricating an oil pan though!!

Thanks all!
    best regards
    Nick