- Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: Update and "leaky" questions

60 Invicta Guest

Question

My 1960 Invicta 401 is coming along slowly, but surely. Usually one step forward, two steps back. The engine is all together now and will run, but it's rough still. The heads on both sides now seem to be leaking oil at the forward exhaust manifold connection....not sure why, it wasn't doing this before. The car back-fires a couple of times on the start...also wasn't doing this before. AND it doesn't seems to keep the battery charged (generator?) I've done pretty much all my own work thus far, but I'm taking it to a CLOSE garage on Monday. Any advice?
    Thanks!

I have a question. Is the oil leaking on the outsided of the head, and down on the manifold, or is it leaking inside the exhaust port?
    If it is leaking on the outside and running down, I would look at me valve cover gaskets. If not that, then I would look for a crack around the manifold bolts. If it is leaking inside the exhaust port, then I would check your valve seals on top of the valves. I am not exactly sure if Buicks are the same as chevys, but if they have seals on top of the valve guide, then I would look there for a leaking problem. If it is external and not the valve cover, then I would be concerned. I guess an alternative to that is if it is leaking below the exhaust port, then it could be the head gasket leaking around where the oil is going to the head from the block.

The back fire is either from a lean condition or a timing issue. I would check to see if the idle jets were opened enough, and check for air leaks at the carb base plate to intake. Also check the timing. It should be 12 degrees advance with the vacuum advance unhooked and plugged at idle.

Is yours a 445 with the Rochester 4Jet? I have a 62 Invicta with that engine in it, and It was very lean especially when I opened up the secondary barrels. I found two things. My timing was way off, so I fixed that. Then the brake booster was leaking badly and was causing a lean condition. But the final thing was after I rebuilt the carb, the back two barrels were staying open just a little bit, and that was causing the engine to be very lean at idle. It was very frustrating. I changed intake gaskets, and carb gaskets 3 times and doubled them up and even used copper coat sealer on them. Once I figure out the issue and fixed it the old Nailhead has run great. Keep after it. You will be glad you did. These engines are a lot of fun to drive. Tons of torque.

Good Luck.
    Randy
    62 Invicta with 70,000 original miles. Dual exhaust otherwise stock. Blast to drive.

60 Invicta Guest

Thanks for the reply...I have ruled (95%)out the leak source as a valve cover gasket. The leak looks like it's coming from in between the exhaust manifold and the head, in other words, from the front exhaust ports. There's also a leak at the head gasket bolt at the rear generator bracket. It's possible I over-tightened the manifold...haven't checked carefully yet. When I went to drive it to the shop a few days ago, it didn't make it! The car could barely pull it's own weight on a hill and when I pulled over at a level spot...it idled OK for a few minutes and then started smoking under the hood. There was a puddle of transmission fluid under the RIGHT side of the engine, I couldn't find the source as it stopped leaking as soon as I shut it down. NO CLUE Here ...maybe the trans cooling line(s). I drove it home a few minutes later and it has sat there ever since. Idles rough and poor. The engine is the "Wildcat 445" 401 with a '66 intake and Carter 4 barrel. Vaccuum connections were plugged where they weren't needed and the carb. sat for years before I got it...linkage was tricky and I doubt things are tuned well. I have done a lot to the engine since June, but I'm without a garage for the winter, so my working on it is pretty much gone for the year. It's rainy and cold here in the winter. Thanks for replies...I'm reasonably confident I'll get this old monster running again!