Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $15 grand for a paint job?

Bernard Guest

I was quoted $15,000 as a ballpark today for a chrome-off, door handles-out, glass-out, lifetime-guarantee paint job for Harley Earle (1949 Model 15) with absolutely no body work needing to be done. AND a minimum of 6 months shop time.

Is this typical?

Is there a viable, practical, desirable compromise between this full-court press and FactObake?

Hey Bernard,

I know that "Harley Earle" is a 1949 Super.
    What model? You mentioned 15.
    There is no model 15.
    Model 51 perhaps? a 4 door Sedan?

A 1949 Buick Sedan in Perfect condition is worth 20 grand.

I don't know (that's your business) what you paid for the car but I think that 15K for a paint job is a bit steep. Chrome not included. Chrome is pretty expensive. So at a rough guess 6 grand. that leaves YOU in the hole One thousand. That's not including the the price you paid for the car.
    Maybe my re-chroming estimeate is a bit high. Your talking about the F&R Bumpers, that big toothy grille, any window and tailight trim and the portholes so maybe 5 K that puts you even. but does not include the initial investment

You do the math.

I was quoted a price of 10 grand that included some minimal body work and the doors, front fenders and hood would be removed and sprayed and the car re-assembled.

I think someone is taking some "liberties" in regard to "recreational chemicals". apparently manditory drug testing is not in place.

Was this guy wearing a mask or any other clothing that would hide his identity?

Is he a pawn broker also?

And he is giving a lifetime guarantee with-out any body work?

Painting is just like wall paper. It's only as good as the surface it is applied to.

This doesn't sound to me like its on the "up and up". I appears that he has a loop-hole and is trying to take advantage of the situation. This guy is an opportunist.

If, I was in your shoes, I would scrape the "donkey dust" off the soles of my boots. I wouldn't want to add insult to injury and require a new carpet as well as a paint job.

I would think that 10 K would be more than enough.

15 k is out of the question.

I'm not an expert on this kind of stuff. I may be wrong, but somehow I don't think so.

I would like to see/hear other member opinions on the subject.

Regards'

Tom Gallagher
    if you know what I mean.
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

the most expensive paint job i ever heard of was 14000 US$ and that was for 11 coats of paint and 4 clear coats for a 57 chevy belair. mind you this was also a multi colour paint job and required a month in the shop.
    i can tell you right now you're getting fleeced.

That sounds like an I don't really want to paint this car but I won't just say that quote.

Hey Bernard!

Contact Your local Buick Club and see who they "Recommend"!

In most cases it is a Buick Club Member who I'm sure would treat you fair.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher

Bernard Guest

Thanks, guys!

Here is what he said the $15,000 paid for, in more detail: All chrome parts removed; glass removed; full body preparation; everything put back. Did not specify what kind of paint, how many coats, etc. There was a 60's era GTO on his apron he invited me to look at, but I didn't.

Said the work would be done only as time filler, so car would be in his shop 6 months minimum.

He also said that the $15,000 "ballpark" was intended to include my decisions to upgrade miscellaneous odds and ends as the process unfolded. I can envision, for instance, new rubber gaskets beneath the front fender lights, a rear deck logo to replace the one in which the left glass has faded from white to red; new hood and truck gaskets and bumpers; etc.

But I hear y'all loud and clear. Judd, you may have hit the nail on the head--an "I don't want to do it" bid.

Repainting is not on my immediate agenda. The car is still a decent 10-footer; I need a tune up immediatelty, and then that damn torque ball rebuilt next, and then the new water pump and fuel pump installed. The repaint won't come up for a couple of years, if then.

(Understand that the chrome on this car is as near perfect as you can imagine; there is no rust anywhere, not even the upward-turned inner flanges of the wheel well openings, and the only metal deformation is a very shallow scratch I put on one of the fender skirts.)

If u dont have alot of money , do what u can afford bro. dont worry about having it all bling bling. People will respect the car just because its 60 some odd yrs old man lol. I got a 55 buick special 4 door and i got it repainted cheaply for 1500 bucks and thats it getting sanded, prepped, and painted with 4 coats and 2 clear coats. its not the best but it shines like new. Plus man, if u gotta do mechanical **** on it just do that first and in the mean time if u just want to make it presentable, just get a cheap paint job, just make shure they sand and prep it good. Then after u get it rebuilt and running perfect.. put ur money into a chrome.. then get the ultimate expensive paint job before u put the chrome on. Dont get too big minded about it bro, take ur time, its lasted 60 yrs, u giving it a lil tlc will make it last forever. Get her running first dependable and go from there. Im not totaly satisfired about my 1500 dollar paint job, but it looks alot better than the original paint with the surface rust and dings here and there . anyways holla at me if u need some advice.. and yeah that torque ball is a ***** man lol i had that done on my car finally.. it will drip little bye little until u replace it. kc

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hey KMC!

You are wise beyond your years.

Those Dudes with the expensive paint jobs are afraid to drive their cars. They don't want any stone chips or bruises. They don't drive them, instead they trailer them. The when they park them they are "paranoid" about scratches and door dings.

Doesn't sound like too much fun to me always worrying about what "could" happen.

Buicks were ment to be driven.!

As long as the car looks presentable and serviceable, I kool with that.

Windows down, Cruising round, Lisnin' to your favorate sound. That's what its all about [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] (not the "Hokey-Pokey")

Regards'

Tom Gallagher

Cool

Hi Tom and all [img]smile.gif[/img] I resemble that remark- having paint jobs that exceed the value of the car seems to be a trend - a bad trend- in my garage. Labor (prep work!) and paint are very expensive these days. Although I did see a sign out around Somerset KY that said they would paint any car for $300. They didn't do a very good job on the sign though! [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]
    Ted Nagel
    (6)65 Wildcats; 65 Riviera; 65 Special Wagon; 65 GS; 65 Skylark; 67 Wildcat; 67 California GS; (2)68 GS400; 69 GS 350; 70 GS Stage 1; Wanted: time to fix 'em

Hey Ted,

Maybe they didn't do that bad of a paint job on the sign. Probably the watercolors just ran.

Have a fun weekend.

Regards,

Tom Gallagher