Thread: 1963 Riviera heater core replacement

Loren Olver Guest

Question

Winter is cold and wet here in Oregon, I am therefore finally fixing my heater core. I managed to find a new one but I don't have a manual and am wondering how the old one comes out. It spewed fluid out of the housing on the firewall this June, so I bypassed it until I could find a new one. I tried removing the fan and ductwork in the engine compartment, and can see the core but I seriously doubt it's coming out that way, I'm used to working on old VW's, No radiators,(Hence no heat either!!) and always have had a manual to guide me. No luck finding one around here though, and I can't currently swing the $50ishbucks they want for one of those cool sounding cd rom ones online(plus how Riv' specific are they?) any help would be greatly appreciated especially 'cause this is my daily driver.[e-mail]lgolver@hotmail.com[e-mail]

------------------

I don't know, but you're probably on the right track. If you want a manual, click on the ebay link at the bottom of this page and do a search for 1963 Buick Manual.

Wink

You are not going to like this! Your heater core comes out from the inside. You have to remove a good part of the dash and the console to get it out. This is best done by removeing the front seats first!
    This is not a joke, I have done one and as I remember the labor book shows about six hours to swap that core. It is the most time I have ever spent on a heater core.
    Sorry.

------------------
    Life long Buick fan,
    1965 Gran Sport Conv.
    1965 Skylark H/T
    1948 Chevy P.U. with 401 in it.

Loren Olver Guest

Smile

Hey< thank you all for the replys to my message. I ended up figuring it out, and yes I did have to partially remove the console, and the ductwork behind it. but it's back in now and works fine, I still need to find a valve that opperates that flap in the ductwork between the fan and the heater core. the old one is frozen in place and I have to set it manually from in the engine bay. I saw one in an old classic buicks catalog that came with the car but the # is disconnected ( it was printed in '97 so I'm not suprised) all in all I've had very little trouble with the car especially when you consider it's age. I'm the 3rd owner and it was pretty well taken care of, and mostly original except for the mags and dual glasspacks. anyway thank you again for you help.

I remember seeing a post that the heater core was the platform the early Rivs were built on!

------------------
    Steve B.
    GSCA #2173 (1986)
    67 GS 525 Stg IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv

wdanielbern Guest

hello i am looking for a manual heater valve for a 63 also if you find one could you e-mail me at wdanielbern@aol.com thanks