Thread: Electrical Problems/Alternator?

Chad73 Guest

Angry

Ok, a few weeks back I roasted my wire that connects my starter to my alternator. I replaced the wire and it started back up, no problem. While it was sitting, I degreased the engine and washed the valve covers. Now when I started it back up, after all that, It idles real funny. Kinda sputering and pinging. I checked under the distributor cap to see if there was any moisture. Nothing. And Also, my lights in my car are really bright now. I tested my alternator it is putting out 13.1 amps. I'm afraid of frying more wires, is that too many amps? I'm told that was fine. Anyways, any help would be much appreciated.

Chad
    I own a 73 electra.

buickboy Guest

Sounds to me like it is overcharging.

Chad73 Guest

Well, i keep testing it. and it seems fine. My battery isn't smelling or anything. So, hopefully it'll be alright.
    thanks,

Chad

That is not too many amps, anywhere up to 13.8 is good.

BadBuick Guest

13.1 is that amps or volts? I work at an independent shop and we get a lot of cars from used car dealers and one of the most common problems we have is that the dealer washes the engine compartment and they bring the car in because is is running rough. Nine times out of ten all we have to do is pull the plug wires off and use compresed air to dry around the spark plugs where water has collected.

Chad73 Guest

Unhappy

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna pull the wires off and dry the areas off and hopefully that'll help. I think it's 13.1 amps, if i'm not mistaken.

Also, i noticed a scraping sound coming from the front right wheel of my car. It sounds almost like a whistle at high speeds, but then when i slow down i notice a high pitched scraping sound. And when i apply the brakes it goes away. Any help?