Thread: Detroit Flier

I have a friend who is putting the finishing touches on a 66 GS that was one of 14 cars sent to Crane for some 'special' engine work.
    Aparently Buick was tired of the Chevelles stealing the drag shows and had some 'specials' done. This one was drag raced in the Orlando/Tampa area in 66/67 under the name 'Detroit Flier' which was painted on the fenders. The car was parked in late 67 with 4900 miles and sat until about 3 years ago when it was bought by my friend. He has pictures of what it looked like when he got it but we are looking for anyone who may have pictures of it being drag raced. We have some of the crane documentation and the guys wife has some more which we hope to get as the guy died about a year ago. Anyone know of the other cars that had the same treatment? THe motor is now 470 ci and he just got an Offy 2x4 manifold for it. Anyone know what carbs were used on that manifold? He is going to get it running with the single 4 (780 Eldbrock) but will do the 2x4 setup when we can find a hood to modify to fit. Is there some way to post pictures on this forum? I am on the Corvette forum and it has a web page feature that allows one to load a picture and point to it can one do that here.

Tyler

Tyler

Tyler ,

You can up-load pictures here, and use a link to them when you post. In 66, a 401 was used in the GS Skylark. There was also a 425 used in the big cars, but there was nothing close to a 470. Does you friend have a bored out 1970+ 455 in there, or is it some sort of stroked out 401/425 Nailhead? The stock cast iron 2x4 manifold on the 425 Nailhead had two 600 or 625 Carter AFBs. The 2x4 Offy manifold is said to be restrictive in comparison to the stock cast iron manifold. The Edlebrock B262 is after-market 2x4 manifold most Nailhead guys are after. I have seen one go for over $500 on Ebay as they are no longer in production. Bob Quigg runs a B262 with two Edlebroch 750s in a 66 GS. It runs mid 11s in the quarter at 3300 lbs.

I cannot get to the picture area to post any pictures. The motor is/was a 401 bored/stroked to 469.??. It was some kind of under the table deal from Buick. They had the changes done at no cost to the owner as long as it was raced at sanctioned events. I had the wrong name it was the 'Flint Flyer'. The new owner has a TH 400 with a FORD OD done by a local tranny guy so he can keep the 4:30 rear. The original owner spun a bearing street racing a Corvette in 67 and just never got around to fixing it. Supposed to have at least one trophy in the 11.XX's. Hopefully we will get the rest of the documentation soon. It even has a G-Meter circa 1966 as a dash instrument.

Tyler

Smile

Tyler,
    I noticed you signed up for the show and shine. I have fixed the problems and you can now see it here.
    http://www.buicks.net/show_and_shine...ley/index.html

[This message has been edited by bob (edited 09-24-2002).]