Thread: 55 rearend swap -best way to go ?

55 quatroholo Guest

I'm trying to replace my stock rearend with a 69 camaro rearend on my '55 Century.If I do it should I cut the brackets off the stock rearend and weld them onto the camaro rear or can I install the leaf spring setup from the camaro on the 55.I've seen kits with leaf sets for rearend swaps with brackets for hotrods before.Can I use the kit on the 55,whats the best way to go.

Nailhead_Sled Guest

I'd look for a rear that allready has a coil set up, it would at least put you in the ballpark, I would think that going with a leaf set up would be a real pain in the butt both to install and for ride quality.

woody Guest

I'd go for a Ford 9" with coilovers, as parts and ratios are commonly available. They can put a 9" in anything! However, I'm not sure how you'd cope with the torque tube problem. Have you changed the transmission or engine?

Purhaps you could install a GV (Gear Vendors) overdrive and have twice as many forward gears! I see they have a unit which will fit a torque tube setup. You'll obviously have to shorten an external tailshaft to suit and look at strengthening the original mounting points. www.gearvendors.com

woody Guest

Unhappy

Now that I think of it, you'll probably find the GV unit won't fit as I think the chassis crosses over at the rear of the transmission and there probably won't be enough clearance. Unless you modified the chassis...

55 Buick rear end sway

aro end to work for you? im doing exact;y the same to my 55 special, let me know tks

mustaller@aim.com

Larry

Larry, are you wanting to convert to open drive because of an engine and/or transmission swap? If yes, and you haven't decided yet on how you want to do it, the easiest way to go is the rear suspension setup used on 60-72 Chevy 1/2 ton trucks.

71-72 truck rears use the Buick 5 on 5" bolt pattern. The earlier rears are 6 bolt, but can be converted to the Buick pattern by any machine shop. Actually, you don't even have to use the truck rear if you don't want to. You can cut the trailing arm brackets off the axle housing and weld them onto almost any rear of your preference.

You will still need to do some other mods like putting the spring seats on the axle housing, adapting the panhard bar, and hooking up the parking brake cables. However, all of this is still much easier than installing a 4-link or ladder bars. You can save some fab work if you also get the crossmember that the trailing arms attach to when you pull the parts off the donor truck.

Ray
    Last edited by raycow; 05-28-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Find a donar car, Buick. '61-'65 full size or '64-'70 Riv. Any of these with an X-frame. Put both cats on a lift & compare. You will be amazed at how close everything matches up. Most will even have the panhard bar. You could probably find a striped down chassis. All you need is the rear & frame. You can then do some careful measuring & remove the brackets from the frame weld them to your frame. Measure the width backing plate-backing plate & come as close as possible to the width you already have. If you go more or less you can make it up with the back spacing of the wheels. You will now retain the Buick 12" brakes, E-brake cables etc. I have done this in the past & it's totally MUCH easier then adapting some Frankenstein method that will end up giving you fits, geometry problems & MANY other associated things you are not even considering right now. Check it out BEFORE swaping to some other non Buick components.
    JMHO
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"