Thread: 1999 Buick Park Avenue - Question: Water in Trunk due to air vent?

Magdziarz Guest

I have a question regarding a part that doesn't seem to be located on any of the diagrams for my 1999 Buick Park Avenue.

The problem I've encountered is having standing water inside the spare wheel compartment in the trunk.

I've removed the carpeting to determine the cause, and have found the problem is related to a snap-in "pressure relief vent" installed by Buick over the right rear wheel well under the carpeting.

I went to my local dealer and I've purchased a replacement snap-in vent. Apparently this vent is what permits airflow exit ventilation and enables the air to escape the vehicle when the vehicle doors are being closed.

The old part appears to be in as good condition as the new part. I'm curious if you have any diagrams or information about the installation of this part. The parts department and the bodyshop department personnel were unsure of the correct way the part gets snapped in. Neither the new part or the old part is labeled (top, bottom, inside, outside)and can be snapped in an any of 4 different ways:

- right side up installed from inside the trunk compartment;
    - upside down installed from inside the trunk compartment;
    - right side up installed from outside the trunk compartment (under the wheel well);
    - upside down installed from outside the trunk compartment (under the wheel well);

Do you have any indication which way is correct?

Here's the Buick part number and description: Part# 10440792, Desc: 101 Valve

------------------
    Thanks,
    Wm Magdziarz-Rainey
    e-mail: Wmagdziarz@aol.com

Cool

William, there is one small line drawing of the part in the shop manual. It shows the part fitting on the right side of the car (I assume there is no left side vent). The view given shows the vent being installed from inside the trunk. The edge to the front of the car goes in first if it matters. The top edge of the louvers on the vent tilts backward, away from the viewer, as seen from inside the trunk.

If you can, form a duct and seal it around one side of the vent and then power it with something like a hair dryer. It should allow air to pass freely from the 'inside' to the 'outside' but not vice versa.

Magdziarz Guest

I have installed the part as you described. I've driven through some water and taken it to the carwash.

The water puddles caused no problem, and the undercarriage water jets only let in a small bit of water. Much better than before where I had standing water in the spare tire well.

Thanks,
    William

Magdziarz Guest

Car Wash found the leak

Just an Update on the 2002 posting (it is now Oct 2005) ....

The issue was not the "Side Vent" as previously thought.

It took my wife, son, and I to figure this issue out (Fall of 2002).

Our problem was that the spare wheel well was filling with water over time. This mold and mildew was filling the trunk and making an awful smell.

My son and I removed the enterior lining of the trunk. All the lining and spare tire. We took the car to a drive through carwash. My wife drove the car, my son rode in the back seat; and I RODE INSIDE THE LOCKED AND ENCLOSED TRUNK (with a flashlight)...

Upon exiting the carwash I'd located the leak.

There was a significant water leak ABOVE the rear passenger-side light assembly. I used normal household caulk and sealed up ANYTHING on this side of the vehicle from the INSIDE of the trunk. Including all access to the tail light assembly. ((Later I had to use a box cutter to cut the seal when a taillight burned out. However the knife cut didn't effect the seal that I'd made.) The seal from the caulking held and no water has been a problem since.

Wm Magdziarz-Rainey Family