Thread: Overheating

Kirk H Guest

Question

Im have trouble with my 56 buickl special. It is overheating while im driveing, if i dont stop at a light. It will slowly build up the heaat until i stop. When i finally stop when it become hot it will very quickly drop back down to narmal. Has anyone seen this before? I have a new thermostat and i have flushed the motor. it is a 322 and i do not have a heater. Any ideas.

Nailhead_Sled Guest

Ah yes, been there done that. Well actually just getting over that issue. The lack of the heater core has probably forced you to route the heater hose in a loop from the manifold right back to the bottom of the rad, which may be moving the coolant too quickly for it to cool. I also lack a heater core and have had overheating issues with this setup. I flushed my original rad until i was blue in the face, but the temp drop was not significant ( maybe 5 degrees at a time). I had my rad hot tanked at a local cooling system shop (30 bucks), and pulled the water pump while I had the rad out, with the pump removed I ran a light degreser through the block for about 30 mins. When I bolted everything back up, I noticed a huge temp drop, I can now actually cruise during the day. Bottom line is over the counter rad flush kits dont get rid of 40+ years of crap that easily.
    Also, when I got my rad back from the hot tank I noticed what looks to be cotton? floating around in the upper tank...Does anybody know what this is ( maybe a crude filtering media)???