Thread: body side chrome molding 68/69 GS

Question

Everyone I have asked tells me the 68/69 GS model did not have available the body side chrome molding that runs from near the headlights, across the door to the rear wheel well, then to the bumper. Only for the Skylarks. But on this site's page for the 69 models, it shows just such a car in the GS chart picture! Can anyone say for sure if that pic is a GS or a Skylark? Want to know because the 68 GS350 I bought this summer has those side body molding.

------------------
    David Gramlow
    1968 GS350
    GSCA 861

Lightbulb

Dave,
    The car on the 69 page here is a senior GS model. The unique grill and domed hood of the GS 350 and GS 400 are visible in the picture. The apparent trim along the full length body crease line is actually a paint stripe. Among mid-size cars, only the Sportwagon uses chrome molding along the crease, that to set apart the wood grain trim. Optional chromed protective side moldings were offered for full size cars, but not for mid size that year.

On the 68 models, the GS350 and GS400 had no chrome molding along the crease. The base Skylark and the Skylark Custom had a chrome molding here standard. It would be hard to state that a 68 GS350 could not be special-ordered with chrome moldings, but option price lists don't show such an item. Adding the moldings back on would go against the usual styling rule of 'dechroming' the sportiest models.

Other differences in 68 side trim are present. The Skylark Custom uses fender skirts, the GS and base Skylark do not. The GS uses a large single 'vent' in the front fender just behind the wheel. The Skylark Custom and base Skylark use 3-narrow horizontal 'vents'. The GS has a triple racing stripe along the rocker panel which Skylarks do not have. GS models have special deck lid trim in addition.

Thanks for the details Todd. My car id's and looks GS all the way except for the side moldings. And the racing stripes are long gone after at least a couple paint jobs. The hood, trunk and body emblems are all as they should be for a GS. Do you know if the body side moldings are supposed to be a specific distance away from the crease? I know some Skylark stuff was used in the resto, engine/rear end/door panels. If a 68/69 door(s) was also replaced with a Skylark's, the guy may have decided to just transfer the side moldings instead of patching the mntg holes in the doors. Or they may have already been on the car when he bought it. I really have to try to get hold of him again. I do have his # in Oregon. But he's verrrrrry long winded!

Tell me, what do you mean by "senior"?

------------------
    David Gramlow
    1968 GS350
    GSCA 861

[This message has been edited by dg-gs350 (edited 12-07-2001).]

Wink

Dave, I'm sure the door skins were prepunched for the molding clips in some sort of jig at the factory to save time and insure uniform spacing. The all-new Skylarks received top billing at the front of the big Buick sales catalog in 68. There is a straight-on full double-page view of a Skylark Custom coupe in there with the moldings. I can look at it again tonight when I get home to guess at the trim mounting in relation to the crease. Your theory about how they found their way onto your car sounds good.

I was being lazy in coining the term 'senior GS'. That was so I wouldn't have to list all the differences on the California GS. It did not have many of the feaures the other two GS cars did. Still it is amazing how different the 68 and 69 mid size cars are. Before, I thought they were nearly identical.

Thumbs up

The trim is mounted above the body vrease in the pictures. The gap between the crease and the trim is less than the width of the trim at its wide spot. Guessing, it looks to be about 3/4 to 1''

Smile

Thanks for your help Todd.

------------------
    David Gramlow
    1968 GS350
    GSCA 861