From the Reference Section:
- Auto Refinishing, featuring Brian Martin
- Body Cross Reference,A,B,C...
- 1967 Hood Scoop Installation Pattern

Thread: Estimate of bodywork

Hiside Guest

Wink

Hi all,this is my first post.I just bought a '66 Buick Special (Skylark)my first Buick and the previous owner used it to haul his trailer, so theres a 2 inch hole in the rear panel where the electrical connection was and 4 small holes on each door where he mounted those huge mirrors. It also looked like he tried to park between two rocks because he creased both doors.I've been looking for bodyparts but have yet to find anything for this year Buick.What can I expect to pay to repair and primer the damage.If possible I would like to keep it as bondo free as I can.

Talking

Welcome, and congratulations on your first Buick. I don't have a lead for you on the parts, but I can help you with your repairs. Don't worry about the "bondo" thing. That is one of the most misunderstood subjects in auto repair. Most ALL show cars you see are covered with "bondo". "BONDO" is of course a brand name of a retail plastic filler found in Kragen or PEP Boy stores and not usually in "real" autobody paint and supply stores.

The quality of plastic fillers has came a long way since the fifties when it first came out. I have to tell you, if used properly, it will out last you and me! We will be dead and gone and your grand kids will be driving that Buick around with that "plastic filler" still on the car doing it's job. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The rear hole as well as the door holes can be welded up and finished off with a minimum (or none at all if you find the right guy to do it) filler. The creases in the doors "may" (I can't see them from here [img]smile.gif[/img] ) be an easy "bondo free" or near "bondo" free repair as well. My point is, don't be afraid of a little filler.

If your car is in overall good shape, if those doors are nice rust free doors you are MUCH, MUCH better off repairing them and having a little filler than getting some other doors that are not going to be as good in other respects.

Used parts for these cars are ALWAYS going to need some work. If you weigh out the cost of the part, and the cost of repairing it, it is NO better than just fixing what you have, I can guarantee it.

It sounds like you have a nice car, give it a chance. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "Fan of anything that moves human beings"
    1965 Gran Sport Conv.
    1948 Chevy P.U.
    1959 Rambler American, yeah I said Rambler, you want to make something of it punk?

Hiside Guest

Talking

Hey thanks,I thought all these show cars had perfect metal now I don't feel to bad about a little bondo.