From the Reference Section:
- Auto Refinishing, featuring Brian Martin
- Body Cross Reference,A,B,C...
- 1967 Hood Scoop Installation Pattern

Thread: Paint Shop Nightmare!!!!

daddyo Guest

Angry

I'm new at this whole classic Buick resto thing. But have I learned my lesson the hard way!!! NEVER EVER GO TO MAACO. You would not believe the horror I've been through to get my '55 Super repaired and painted properly. So much has gone wrong, I built a wseb site to show sthers how bad this company is and hope that others will stay away before they get screwed too. www.aaamaacopaint.homestead.com/maaco1.html Don't let this happen to you......

Unhappy

That is why WE are here!!! I am in the auto body & paint business and ANY one of the chain shops is a NO-NO. They wouldn't have a clue what to do with your old Buick, and if they did they wouldn't do a good job because that is just he business they are in, a quick job for cheap...period.

No Daddyo.........remember this when getting your Dynaslush rebuilt!!!!

------------------
    Life long Buick fan,
    1965 Gran Sport Conv.
    1965 Skylark H/T
    1948 Chevy P.U. with 401 in it.

I just went to your site, that is horrifying, to someone not in the business it would seem like a rare case......it is NOT. I could have predicted it in every detail!!! I have lived something similar though not nearly as bad as your Buick with another chain paint shop I won't mention any name but when you get your car done it is a "Miracle" if the car is done right.

To hell with the contract, I would go to that shop and when the car was outside I would "steal" it (they would probably let you take it anyway) and then sue them for the cost of the "repairs".

------------------
    Life long Buick fan,
    1965 Gran Sport Conv.
    1965 Skylark H/T

i have to agree with MARTINSR about the chain paint shop. those chain shops wouldn't know what to do with a classic car if you gave them $10,000. a lot of body shops **** , not all of them just some. they take forever and the finished product is less the thrilling, i know body work and paint take a long time and you don't want to rush good work. but here's the two options do LOTS of homework and find a good quality shop or do it yourself. i started by taking classes at a local jr. college and worked my way up, then after a few years of doing body work on my own cars (and some friends) i went for a job at one of those chain places, they told me i took to much time and was to detailed in my work. they said "this is a production paint shop, not a restoration shop" and "you can't see both sides at the same time". i went through the a.s.e and icar programs in my spare time (i have no life, besides cars). but body and paint work is like repair work you have to find the right person who knows how to work on your old car, you wouldn't trust a chain lube and tune place to rebuild you nailhead would you ?. a GOOD shop knows its limitations.

hmmm, it wouldn't let me edit my last post. what i meant to say is, old cars are tough and take time to do right and not all shops are up to the challenge. they should be up front and say they can't handle it, instead of thinking only about the money and hoping the customer won't see their inferior work. ok im done rambling now........

Wink

Dan, you are right on the money. When I had my shop, I would tell people that I didn't know the make of car they had, or it was over my head. Why in the heck would I want to take the car in, if I had no clue how to do it? I think the biggest problem is the estimater doesn't know a fender bolt from a spark plug and just assumes that the guys in the shop do....he/she is WRONG.
    Dan, are you a metal tech in a shop now, with all the I-CAR and ASE you should be a shoe in. Around here (San Fran Bay area), metal techs are HIGHLY sought after, and even get signing bonuses!

------------------
    Life long Buick fan,
    1965 Gran Sport Conv.
    1965 Skylark H/T

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MARTINSR:
    Dan, are you a metal tech in a shop now, with all the I-CAR and ASE you should be a shoe in. Around here (San Fran Bay area), metal techs are HIGHLY sought after, and even get signing bonuses!
    [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    right now i'm in the repair end, i just (2 months ago) got my smog license and i also have a brake and lamp license. i only do body work for my "good" customers (meaning my long time customers with old cars who will give me some extra time). without doing metal work on a daily basis its hard to get really skilled and quick at the same time, i work on old cars alot and they take LOTS of fabrication on both body and mechanical (because repo parts never fit right). it's easier for me to work at a repair shop and do welding/body work, because most of the body shops around here don't do repair work. my goal is to have the knowledge to be able to repair and refinish a whole car by myself (i told you i have no life!!). everything from machine work to replating chrome. i know people at glass shops, machine shops, chrome shops and its fun learning. i'm 31 and i'd better soak up all the information i can while it's available to me.

j84buick Guest

What does it cost these days to get a car painted? I am talking your middle of the road job.. I have not had a car done in 10 years back then it ran me about $1200.... Also what state you are from would make a difference also.

79Regal Guest

You can expect to pay anywhere between $1,000 and $2,500 for a mid road job depending upon where you go, and if you know anyone in the business. If you know anyone in the business, obviously you can expect to pay less than the figures I gave.

paint job on older Buicks

Depends on the coats of paint and Clear you have done could be as much as 3 coats of color and 2 coats of clear in most cases if you want a modern paint job done figure $3,000.00 to $5,000.00 for a good job double for an excellent era correct one