Thread: Petronix Ignitor 2 users. Read this.

aubrey anthony Guest

I've posted this on V8Buick before but thought I'd let everyone around here know also.

I had some problems with my Igntor 2 loading down my coil, causing the primary sides voltage to drop from 9.3VDC to just under 4VDC. THis is with it hooked up per the instructions you receive with the kit.

I called Petronix to see if they've had any history of this sort of thing and they said they did not.
    But! they recomended to me to find an alternate source of power for the positive (red) lead other than the positive side of the coil. They said they have had a a lot of problems with the ignition cutting out under hot conditions when wired per their instructions. To fix the problem an alternate 7-12VDC source is needed.

I took mine off of the IGN from the fuse box. It cured my problem on the primary side of the coil.
    My plugs look much better and the throttle response has improved.

If you're running a Petronix Ignitor system in place of your points I'd give it a check. It only take s a few seconds and could be that problem you've been trying to track down.

sergio Guest

Do you know if this affects the Pertronix I as well? I am going to install kit # 1181 in my '63 Buick Riviera and am kinda' nervous about it. I replaced the resistance wire with normal stranded wire to cancel out that voltage drop. I will have full alternator voltage to the coil and Pertronix unit. I am also trying to add an "no oil pressure protection" circuit when I add an electric fuel pump. The wiring is getting a little complicated!