Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help this Moparman Buick engine ID

Help this Moparman Buick engine ID

I purchased a Buick engine on a whim 6 or 7 years ago. Then while cleaning out the shop I found it shoved under the bench in the back. Knowning nothing about Buicks I need to know where the ID numbers and engine codes are. I was told that the engine came out of a 69 GS convt Stage one that was wrecked then sat in a junk yard until the rusty remains were crushed (sorry guys) you no as the story goes. But if this is ture or not it is time for it to find a proper home in a GS on cool Riv. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Rod

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...t_engine_where

look for "Reference" in the menu bar at the top of this page.

we've got all of the yearly engine stamping codes and well as a pretty extensive collection of casting numbers.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Buick ID #'s

Thanks for the quick response I took the heads,bell housing flywheel and intake off today. Will check the references. Rod

The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Buick #

The block # is 1383790 GM2 - 68 or 69, The heads are 1231109 It says 430 I looked them over and they are closed chambered more commpressing maybe? Exhaust manifolds are B1383648A, 68 and B1383549-H ?? one has a heat shiels and so does the starter. Intake is B1386003E-69. The vin number is 49H158019 and the code is RS 74q. What do you think?? Rod

Buick#

Here is a good pic.

vin number is 49H158019

EIN not VIN. the last 6 digits ( sequential production # ) of the EIN match the last 6 digits of the VIN of the car that the engine came from.

anyways,
    4 = Buick
    9 = 1969
    H = Flint, MI

the sequential production # indicates a non-Riviera Buick. all Rivs start at 900001 and go up. the Sloane museum does not have microfilm for 1969 so it's unlikely that the original car will ever be id'ed by VIN records.

the code is RS

Jackpot.

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view...t_engine_63-75

1969 400ci Stage 1 engine. i believe the Stage engine had option specific cam, fuel pump and carb. all of these are worth some money. if you have an auto trans on that those are also heavy duty, Stage specific.

It says 430

where does it say "430"? the block casting is listed for a 400ci. this raises the possibility that the engine has been molested.

I looked them over and they are closed chambered more commpressing maybe?

all BBB heads from 1967-1974 are close chambered. combustion chamber size is pretty much unchanged from 1967-1970 and then 1971-1974 is a bit larger. 1975-1976 heads are large open chamber.

but most of the CR is controlled by the piston dish in these engines.
    Vladimir Lenin

buick #

Thanks for all the Imput on this motor. When I said the heads are part # 1231109 I was saying the chart show this part # as a 430 head this is not correct for a 400 right? This is a standard trans moter I don't have the carb, fuel pump. There is a cam but if the heads have been changed who knows about the cam, I will tear down the short block this week end. Thanks Rod

When I said the heads are part # 1231109 I was saying the chart show this part # as a 430 head this is not correct for a 400 right?

any head that can be used on a 430 can be used on a 400 and vice versa. the factory often did exactly this. don't take our casting # list as 'definitive' because it most certainly is not. the books these numbers came out of are known to have errors ( see the signature at the bottom of all of my posts ) and, perhaps worse, many missing casting #'s.

the only real 'reason' for the 400ci engine in the first place was that, excepting Corvettes, prior to 1970 GM was not permitting any 401+ci engines in mid-size or smaller cars. in fact, in 1964/66 Buick was relabeling the 401ci Nailhead as a "400" for marketing purposes rather than redesign an engine to subtract 1 ci.

since you're tearing the engine down look for this number on the cam; 1383853

there will also be a single notch in it.
    Vladimir Lenin

The 1231109 head casting was used for the 400 and 430 in 69.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)