Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1963 Buick Skylark 2dr, is it worth it?

reason Guest

im looking to buy a 1963 Buick Skylark 2dr. its in running condition but needs some love. my question is would it be worth the $500 to buy it? and how hard would it be to put a newer motor in and around what would the cost be? im looking for a nice old ride,something that i can take pride in. jsut wondering if this car would be worth the time and effort.

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hi, reason

I see that You are a New Member. Welcome Aboard! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

You have asked quite a few questions but have given limited information, but I will do the Best I can.
    According to the Standard Catalog of Buick and Depending on the Body Style 1963 Buick Special a Parts car alone is worth $400.00 You say that the car runs but needs a little TLC the car would be worth around 2,000. A 2 door model is worth a little more than a 4 door. Also in '63 There were a Special, A Special Deluxe and a Special Skylark. Also Some Specials depending on the Model had V-6 and some depending on the series had a V-8. A V-8 would be worth a bit more.
    A vehicle is rated by condition on a Scale of 1 to 6. 1 Being a Perfect Car(Excellent) in Showroom Condition. A #2 is Fine. #3 is Very Good #4 is Good. # 5 is Restorable needs complete restoration # 6 is a parts car. The better the condition, the more it is worth. The car You speak of sounds like a 3, 4 or 5. How much work does the car need? Is the Paint and Interior Presentable? Can the Car be Used "as Is" a #5 is worth 1250 a #4 is worth 2100 a #3 is worth 4200. So I would say that 500 for an operational Vehicle would be a good investment if a Parts Car is worth at least 400.
    If You give me more specifics Model, Series, Body Style and Motor, I could be able to give you a better estimate as to it's value. If you have the serial# on the left front pillar above the instrument panel I will be able to detect what Series the Car is. The V-8 is a 215 ci Cast Alunimum Block which was quite an innovation in 1963 and is of significant historical value.
    I hope this information helps You out a bit, or at least gives You a starting point for Your decision making process. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img] Tom Gallagher [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

reason Guest

thanks tom,

that was a way cool response. im actually going to inspect the vehicle further in the morning. i will get those numbers of ryou asap.

thanks again for the help and the welcome,

rick jones

A newer model small block Buick up to 350 would bolt in using 215 mounts, but, won't bolt to orig. auto trans without adapter. Newer trans may require floorboard mods for clearance. If car was manual trans, you would only need to use bell housing/flywheel/clutch assembly from 64 and later Buick/Olds/Pontiac V8, though I think Iwould upgrade to newer 4 speed, too.
    The skylark 62
    Dan

jerry_van Guest

Im in the process of restoring a 63 convertible skylark i have put a 350 chevy and a 350 trany parts for this car are very hard to find and very expensive.

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hi Jerry,

I see that You are a New Member. Welcome Aboard! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

If I were You I wouldn't do anything to Hasty and make a Mistake that You will later Regret, [img]graemlins/smash.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] as well as deminish the Value of Your Car. [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img]
    Putting a bellybutton SBC in Your car may be what You think is a cheep way out. But if You Intend to be in this for the Long Run, I would stick with the Original Powerplant.

Tom Gallagher
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Diggin' up bones!

I was searching around for information on a 63 Skylark 2 door I'm looking to purchase.

I have a complete 1987 Buick Grand National drivetrain including the posi rear that I would like to drop in the 63 'Lark..

For you folks that have done the 35o swap, was it really painful, or a PITA with a playful twist?

Any info would be appreciated.

=Eric

215v8

63 skylark 215v8, is sufficient muscle. most people by a car don't have a clue what they are doing.
    First thing is to diminish value of vehicle, cut the rear deck for speakers,take out engine and stick something else in it.
    How about doing some homework first,reading a book on your engine or vehicle?

Thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement....

I am very familiar with the different Buick models of the sixties and the power plants they carry...my question was simple and to the point.....

I own a 66 Skylark GS #'s car that I am trying desperately to keep original and away from the spare GN drivetrain that I have waiting to go somewhere.

The 63 I found has everything BUT a motor and trans and I would like to know any of the pitfalls of dropping a 350 or 3.8 Turbo setup.

Maybe if you would answer the question(s), instead of assuming that everyone is walking around with less than half of your brainpower on a quest to destroy all of the remaining iron out there.....people would learn from you and others on these boards and make an intelligent decision.

Would you like a hug or something? Food for thought Bro...

Cool

Ah heck Slider, I believe he's just another passionate BUICK perfectionist. No need to jump down his throat. Some of these Buick nuts (I included, nut this is!) are a real stickler for the BUICK empire and sometimes go overboard with keeping them somewhat original. I had a '63 skylark many years ago and loved it tremendously. It was a real go getter with the 215 cu in 200 HP aluminum block with a 4 speed tranny and posi rear end and tweeked to the max. Was a kick in the butt to challenge other cars of the days (chevy 265, 283, ford 260, 289 & some chrysler 318 products) and blow there doors off. Kept that beauty until the '65 401 cu in Nailhead GS came out. It was a "have to have" type of car for me. As for putting in another non stock engine and tranny, do what you think best in that department as it's yours to do with as you see fit. I sure do like the body style of that year of Skylark so it will be all good I'm sure. I almost bought a '63 convert a few years back that had a new built 350 chevy 330 hp with a mighty built 200R4 tranny in it. It ran like a screaming a$$ ape, but didn't go after it as I just couldn't bring myself to buy a buick without a buick in a buick. Sigh! Figure you will have to have a huge hood scoop since another block will take up most room under the hood. Now a 231 Buick might be a thought for sure. I now own a '66 GS 401 nailhead and am loving it. Take it easy and stay cool. ARGH! NO HUGS PLEASE ! Jim
    Last edited by jimjames; 07-07-2009 at 09:11 PM.
    Buick... Torque monsters of America.