Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with 65 Skylark GS restoration

Howdy Buick lovers,

I'm restoring a 65 GS and I need to find a picture of the exhaust system in a stock configuration. The exhaust on my car is a mess and obviously not the original layout so I'm hoping to find a picture or diagram to work from as I replace the old system. If anyone knows of a source for reproduction parts I would appreciate hearing about it too.
    Thanks to anyone who can lend a hand.
    Steve

Hey Steve great car your working on. What sort of parts are you looking for? Have you tried Year One,Original Parts Group, TA Performance?
    Have to see what I can find reguarding exhaust layout.
    Doug '65 Skylark Gran Sport ragtop
    Doug 65 Lark Gran Sport ragtop, 57 Roadmaster 75

Doug,
    Thanks for the reply. I live about 20 minutes from OPG and I've purchased the parts I needed to replace the brakes at all four corners, new ball joints and bushings throughout the suspension, engine paint, seat covers etc. I had a tough time finding new rear wheel bearings but eventually located them at ABI (Automotive Bearings International) in City of Industry, CA. Interesting to note that this months newsletter deals with the difficulty in finding those bearings and the writer decided to use the smaller diameter bearing from a standard Skylark and make OD sleeves to size the bearings up to the larger diameter. In case anyone else is looking for the bearings, they cost $40 each at ABI. At this stage my most pressing need is a picture or diagram of a stock 65GS exhaust system so I can bulid a new system that is as close as possible to original. It would be great if there were a source for original parts or reproductions but I have not found one for the 65 GS exhaust.
    I am familiar with YearOne but not TA Performance.... if you could provide me with a web address or phone # for them I would appreciate it.
    Here is another question I have not been able to find an answer to... did the 65GS have a catch tank for coolant overflow? If so, I would like to find a picture or diagram of that assembly too.
    Thanks again for the reply and have a great holiday weekend.
    Steve 65 Skylark GS, with auto and air.

Steve I've never seen an overflow tank on a 65, just the overflow hose going down the side of the radiator.
    TA Performance Scottsdale, AZ 85260 (480) 922-6811 Dave handles most of the Nailhead stuff. www.taperformance.com They carry 2.5" & 3" systems for our cars as well as headers.
    In the Buick Service Manual-Skylark Gran Sport 1965, this is the small manual maybe 50 pages.
    There is a nice schematic of the complete exhaust system in section 3-5 but I just have no way to get it on here for you.
    So if you want I could make you a copy of that page and fax it or we could go snail mail?
    The manuals do show up on ebay and are very worth having. Let me know.
    Doug 65 2-speed auto soon to be ST-400, power steering only.

Doug,

TA Performance looks like the source for a stock or near stock exhaust system.... Thanks a bunch for the tip, I'll be calling them Tuesday.
    I'll keep an eye out for the manual and pick one up when the opportunity comes along.
    I'm betting I can get some good info from TA on the layout of the exhaust so lets hold off on you sending the diagram until we see if I need it. One more question... my GS has two different types of exhaust manifold and I'm wondering if that is normal for the car. The one on the drivers side has the flange where the pipe connects pointing straight back and the passenger side has the flange pointing down and back at about a 45 degree angle so the pipe has to have a bend in it to connect to the manifold. Does that sound like an original layout?
    Thanks again.
    Steve

Manifolds sound perfect. The passenger side will have the butterfly valve on it, drives side has a heat shield for the starter.
    You should also have exhaust pipe hangers (1 ea side) mounted on the outside of the frame rails behind the rear wheels.
    If you not aware of it yet this is an excellent site for nailhead info yahoo groups Nailhead Buick.
    There is also a registry for our 65 1/2 Gran Sports but darn if I can remember the site. They are based in NY.
    Ask TA to send you a catalog when their new one comes out it's supposed to have more Nailhead items in it.

Doug,

Thanks for the tip on the Yahoo newsgroup, I'll check it out. Now I know why my the passenger side manifold has an extra piece about 2" long.... it is the part that used to have a butterfly in it. Mine has had the butterfly removed and the holes for the shaft have been welded closed. Can you tell me what the purpose of the butterfly is?
    I ran across the registry site once a year ago and I can't find it now... maybe it's gone away. If I find it again I'll post the URL.
    Thanks again for all of your help.
    Steve

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hi Steve & Doug,

Steve, That 1965 GS is Really a Sweet Ride. Both Nailheads and Gran Sport Enthusiasts have quite a loyal and passionate following. GS Supporters have their own club. BUICK GS CLUB OF AMERICA 229-244-0577 www.buickgsca.com
    TA is strictly High Performance. I know Gardner Exhaust Systems produces Exact Reproductions of Original GM Musclecar exhaust systems. You can also purchase Stainless Steel or Aluminized Material.
    Steve, I wish You Good Luck and Success with Your GS Project. Make sure you get a headrest. That Nailhead Torque will snap your neck.

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Tom Gallagher [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hi, Steve.

I just ran accross another Gs Vendor/ Supplier.

Poston Enterprises 800-635-9781
    www.postonbuick.com

They Deal Strictly with GS & GN Buicks.

Tom Gallagher [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

Hey Guys. Steve the manifold heat control valve is used to send hot exhaust gasses through a passage in the intake manifold to warm the inflowing air/fuel mixture. When the engine is up to running temp the valve should open up and allow exhaust to go out the pipe.
    The 65 1/2 GranSport registry is now hosted by Hemmings.com