Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 67 skylark overheating...

bluewhale13 Guest

How many blades does the fan have on it? It should be a 18 inch 5 or seven blade fan from the factory. When was the last time that the motor was flushed? Have you checked for a possible blown headgasket?

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Gentleman and Buick Enthusiast's

As Arron simply stated, and put in Prospective. The Number and Size of the Fan Blades have an Intrigal Part in the Cooling Process. Also, Do You have a Clutch Fan? Is it in Proper Working Order?

[img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img] Tom Gallagher [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]
    Thanking YOU, for YOUR Valued Cooperation and Experience in This Matter.

NOSTALGIA Is A DEVICE That REMOVES The RUTS and POTHOLES From MEMORY LANE.
    Tom Gallagher (BUICK BANSHEE)
    1956 Buick Special 2 Door H/Top 46R: Red & White
    Darlington Station, RI. 02861

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Fellow Buick Enthusiast's

There are Two (2) Things that Destroy an Engine, and I Think that We All are in Complete Agreement Here. It Breaks Down to Heat and Dirt. Plain and Simple. Engine Design has Created Filters to Eliminate a lot of the Dirt which Accumulates over Time. Damage caused by Excessive Heat can Destroy an Engine in a Matter of Minutes. :mad: [img]graemlins/angry.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

soul player Guest

Hey Tom

Sorry for the much delayed reply guys. I was on a little vacation, I think it is a fixed fan. No I did not put any water pump lubricant, No I did not let the heater run when i put the fluid. I did do 50/50... I have a new fan shroud, I have not put it in yet. the piece that is missing on the old one is small. I dont think that it would effect the temperature though. There is no oil or coolant mixing with eachother from what I can tell.

The radiator that I bought deffinately is not expensive. I was told that it was identical to the original. the previous radiator was a old recore that was leaking. I suppose i can buy a better one.

I was told that it could maybe be the egnition timing... I guess i will do everything all over again... [img]graemlins/shooter.gif[/img] Thanks for all your help guys...

Don't be so quick to blame the radiator just because it was inexpensive, it may actually be more efficient than the OE. Look inside under the cap and see how many rows of tubes are there. As a general rule todays replacements have better designed cores that release the heat faster than the old ones. I have seen 2 row replacements that cool better than 3 or 4 row OE's. Check ignition timing, do a compression check, what color is your coolant now? If its brown already, flush system thoroughly with a H.D. flush and add antirust/water pump lubricant with fresh coolant. I also recommend a coolant enhancer. There are many on the market, some better than others, but they can make a difference. How many blades on fan?
    Let us know
    Dan
    Dan

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hey Soulplayer!

Hey Dude, Slow Down! Do You have an Owners Manual for the Car. Find out what the Cooling Capacity Fluid Volumn is. Maybe another Member who has one if You don't can help us out here. Maybe Your Thermostat isn't opening a 10 buck part. Add the Rust Inhibitor and Pump Lube, let it run open up the heater so the fluid circulates into the heater core. You will probably be able to introduce 3 or 4 quarts of fluid into the system. Drive the car around for about 15-20 minutes.Turn on the Heater-Defroster make sure it is blowing hot air, if not, you don't have enough fluid. Put her to Bed and then check the fluid levels cold the next day. add fluid if necessary
    I would follow this procedure before doing anything drastic. I hope this is the Solution to You Problem. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Let us know how you make-out
    [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

Cooling capacity for a 340 in '67 is 10.58 qts. with heater, 10.17 without, and 12 .25 with air.

I expect the 340 used a double thick rad, and your new one is probably adequate just as the fellows above have suggested.

Something I always do is drill a 1/16" hole in thermostats to eliminate the possiblility of air locking.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thumbs up

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Hey Soul Player!

How are Things Progressing with Your 340?
    Have You worked out the Kinks in Your Cooling System?
    I'm just trying to HELP! You out the Best I can. It's Tough trying to help out with a key-board instead of tools. I hope You find the Key to Unlock the Door to your Problem. Sometimes You just need a little moral support.
    Keep You Chin UP! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

ICE-MAN Guest

G'DAY SOUL PLAYER. HAVE YOU TRIDED CHANGEING THE WATERPUMP PULLY TO A SMALLER O.D. THIS WILL HELP WITH AIR FOLW.MY 67 SKYLARK 340 HAD A 1-1 RATIO AND BY DECREASING THE WATERPUMP PULLY SIZE TO 2-1 IT HELPED ALOT. JUST A THOURT! ICE-MAN [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]