Thread: Buick Skylark Question (1961 & 1962)

camaroman7d Guest

I am thinking about buying a 61 or 62 Skylark (one is a convertible) are these cars full frame cars or are they unibody? I have never paid any attention to this and the ones I am considering are not local. Are they front or rear steer (meaning the are the tie rods on the front or the rear of the spindles)? Thanks in advance for the help.

Royce

The Shylark is a full frame car. As far as front or rear stear I believe they are front but not 100% sure on that.

Michael
    Thanks

Michael

1955 Buick Special
    2 door hardtop
    264 with Dynaflow

camaroman7d Guest

Thanks Michael, I know the later 63 on up are full frame I just wasn't sure about the 61 and 62 models.

Talking

The tie rods operate the steering knuckles from behind, so that would make it a rear steering car.

The body on the 61 through 63 compact Buicks is a unitized construction having no separate frame. The design is a modified version of the unitized body/frame design done on the Corvair. The Buick Special/Olds F-85/Pontiac Tempest of these years (known as the bopettes) all used the same basic design, known as the Y body.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

camaroman7d Guest

thanks for the info. I just brought home my 1961 Skylark and noticed the frame/body design. This is going to make a little more of a challenge. Where is a good place to find parts for these cars? I need a few trim pieces and tailight and back up lenses (along with weather stripping, etc...).

Are these all aluminum 215ci engines worth anything? It is the 4 barrel model and has been rebuilt. We actually drove it home about 500 miles, runs great.

I can't find much info or parts on this car. Any suggestions or advivce would be great.

Sorry Royce, I was thinking of the mid sixty models. Glad someone set me straight.

Michael

camaroman7d Guest

No problem Michael thanks for replying.