Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum/ Just bought a buick

soul player Guest

Hello Everyone,

I am new here and very new to the classic car restoration community. I have just bought a 67 Ca. edition skylark G.S. w/ the 340 engine. I discovered a Oil leak that I think is comming from the oil pan gasket area so I am going to change the gasket. A question I do have is near the oil pan area underneath the car behind the engine is a large fly wheel like gear that of course spins when the car is running. should there be a cover over this thing??? to protect it? if so where can I get one. I bought the car for 6000.00 it runs/decentlooking however there is some oil leakage and it is very filthy underneath (I guess steam cleaning is needed)

but I am concerned about the fly wheel being exposed. does anyone know where I can get this part if possible?

skylark65 Guest

Yes, there should be a cover over this area.
    It does not really hurt if it is missing it
    just looks better with it on there and cuts down a little noise.
    It is just a tin type of material.
    Try the classifieds of buick.net or e-bay.

Very cool car (I have one too) You need a ST 300 flywheel cover. How does it run?
    Ted Nagel
    (6)65 Wildcats; 65 Riviera; 65 Special Wagon; 65 GS; 65 Skylark; 67 Wildcat; 67 California GS; (2)68 GS400; 69 GS 350; 70 GS Stage 1; Wanted: time to fix 'em

Like skylark65 said, it is not crucial to have. It is usually called a "flywheel cover" or an "inspection cover". Fairly common item. It keeps rocks and crud off of the flywheel (which might chip the teeth), and keeps you from accidentally touching the flywheel if you are under the car for some reason.

-Bob Cunningham

Here is an ebay auction-
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=46104

Looks like you might have to knock out the area to clear your starter, no big deal.

-Bob Cunningham

soul player Guest

Thanks very much for the scoop, well here is the latest on the car. Once again let me remind you that i am by no means a car guy(aside from basic oil,spark plug stuff)

i bought the car last sat from a private party. it is basicly clean,(needs new top and weather stripping) i payed 6,000 for it. i always wanted a classic car and this one caught my eye. very long story short, when i brought the car home I noticed that it was leaking oil. after looking around with a flash light, I noticed that there was oil leaking from a little nut w a very thin nylon line connected to it. after tracing the line i realized that it went to the after market oil gauge under the dash. So i went out and bought an electrical line gauge( i have not put it in yet)
    Monday I spent half of the day getting all the basic tune up stuff for the 340. Everything in it appears to be original. and the past owners did not take very good care of it. i bought a starter,ign.coil,cap/rotor,plugs,wires,oil/filter, air filter. oilpan seal,and transmission pan seal,belts,and radiator hoses.

all the tune up stuff i can do myself but I did not want to do the pan seals so I took it to a place near by that i was not really familiar with.

soul player Guest

Tuesaday rolls around and I take it to the the place and tell them that i have the seals. and oil/filter "just change the seals on the oil pan and transmission. they say "ok" i leave and go run some "honey do's" around town. with in 20 minutes they call me on my cell phone and tell me "are you near by?? you need to come here quick, we have to show you something, we found a piece of camshaft bearing in your oil pan, your engine is in trouble it is not going to last"

I was like ***!!!so I drive back and they have my car jacked up and the guy shows me a piece of thin metal and tells me it is from my bearing and that he recommends that i getthe motor rebuilt.

Now i know the motor is old and original but the thing runs good and sounds great. i told them are you sure... are trying to Jam me?? how much is a rebuilt motor. The guy gives me the price of 5500.00 I was like holy S%^#. i just cant swing that right now.. I told them just do the seals and thats it..... I was pretty pissed off on top of that they charged me BIGTIME..

so now in the back of my mind i was thinking to myself Dam i bought a car that needs to have the motor rebuilt already... Wed. i went to a friends place who is more car savy and we did all the other stuff. We checked the oil pressure and it was very good on each cylinder. (We aslo noticed that the jokers from the other place did not tighten several improtant bolts and cut my fan shroud on the bottom beacause they could not refit it right!!) my buddy told me that it was very odd to find a sliver of a cam bearing in the pan and that even if it was, dont worry about it at this point. you do not need a rebuilt motor yet. We did the tune up belts, hoses and stuff.

The car runs well however, I have some ?????
    Please help with your expertease

1) i am running 10/40 oil... would it be better to run 20/50?? since it is a older engine on the gauge after driving it all day today.. at idle at a stop sign, oil pressure will drop to 10 or 15 and 40 when I am driving. would heavier stuff be better

2)when i stopped at a light or stop sign or just stopped i notice that the car will sometimes ****, kind of a stuuter movement like every oh.... 30 sec. more or less.. what could that be???

3) I think i need a new radiator/ thermostat. according to the gauge it gets to 220 as I drive

any radiator sources??

This is my first classic car one half of me regrets buying it beacuse it seems that there is always something to change the other half of me is like "this cool when i cruise i get heads turned"

Any help is great Peeps..

bluewhale13 Guest

Does your car have AC? I can check with my parts guys. I pretty much only deal in the 300 340 area so let me know and I can see if there might also be a source near you for the radiator. Let me know if you need the tuneup specs and I can email them to you. Welcome on board [img]graemlins/shield.gif[/img]

soul player Guest

Thanks very much bluewhale

i was able to find a radiator for it. i have a question, the previous owner put a aftermarket oil pressure gauge.what is an acceptable oil pressure reading when the car has reached its driving temp. on idle "at a stop light its around 25. i am using 20/50 weight oil.

the tune up specs and any help/hints with the 340 would be great!!

thanks

25PSI at a hot idle is good! I find it hard to believe that you would have that number with part of a bearing missing, so I would discount the "mechanic" that told you you needed a rebuild.
    Joe T
    37Buick coupe /455 powered
    40 Super convert
    72 GS455 convert 13.0/105
    69 Buick Sportwagon
    92 Road,aster wagon
    04 Rendezvous