Thread: breakerless conversions

Anyone got any opinions on breakerless conversions?

I am looking at doing my 400 distributor and considering the crane system XR-I. One nice feature is it features a rev limiter.

Pricey, but have you seen this one?

http://www.lectriclimited.com/breakerless_se.htm

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Bob,

The rev limiter is a nice feature. I know it saved my engine three times at the track. Once when the rear broke, once when the trans let go and once when the drive-shaft split in two. I had the capacitive discharge MSD 6AL. It also never had a problem during street driving. I have a Mallory Hyfire IVc for the Nailhead. It is similar to the 6AL. I was looking for either one on ebay when I found the Mallory. There are some good deals on slightly used ones there if you wait. I like the MSD points conversion, but used the magnetic pick-up from my old Stinger system to trigger the MSD. The Nailhead has the Mallory unilight, but the electronic eye in these distributors tend to burn out.

PS: The 67 racer is bach from the shop [img]graemlins/banana.gif[/img]
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Well, in my nostalgic ignorance I was going to do a dual point conversion on the distributor, but my friends have pushed me to seriously consider a breakerless conversion. After doing some reading, I think there may be some good performance enhancing reasons to go this way. It sounds like you can actually get a little more wack from your coil.

Great to here you car is home...

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!