Thread: installing cams

ray watt Guest

I plan on installing a new cam and I just wanted to get a run down of the steps I should take for this procedure. Its my first time changing a cam so all the info you can give me to help me complete this job will be helpfull.

Use new lifters.

There have been many unreliable Buick lifters sold lately, so I recommend you disassemble each one and clean it (including the check valve).

Then prime the lifters by submerging them in oil (a coffee can works well) and "pumping" them immediately prior to installation.

Coat the cam with the proper cam break-in lube.

Be careful not to ding the cam bearings when you are installing the new cam.

Once installed, break in the cam by running at 1800-2200 RPMs for 30 minutes, varying the RPMs slightly a few times (1500, 2200, etc.).

I like to keep a garden hose handy because the radiator will get very hot, and I think that running water is the best way to cool down the radiator. You should *seal the system* and just use the running water to cool the radiator from the outside- don't try to run water through the radiator as you run the engine. Fill it and cap it before break-in.

Don't try to tune your carb or distributor during break-in. Use a carb that is a known good, working, tuned carb. You don't want to have to shut down during break-in because you are running lean or wrong timing. Set the timing as soon as you fire the engine, then wait until later to fine-tune.

After break-in, change the oil. I like to let the engine sit at least 8-16 hours after break in before I try to fire it up again.

-Bob Cunningham
    bobc@gnttype.org