Thread: 1966 Buick Special Convertible

Talking

My neighbor left me a 1966 Buick Convertible that
    has been sitting in an air-condition garage for the past ten years....Would like some suggestions
    on what to do before starting it up..like draining
    the gas tank..etc...All suggestions would be
    appreciate.....Thank you...Big Al
    Al Manning

Nice score!!!

If it hasn't been run in 10 years, I would suggest the first thing to do is to see if the engine turns over. Place a wrench on the harmonic balancer nut and give it a twist. In an air conditioned garage, I am sure this will not be a problem.

Then I would change the oil and prime the engine, http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference...ming_tool.html

If you don't want to build a tool, or can't borrow one, you can just pull the distributor, put a screwdriver bit (long) in a drill and turn it over that way. You will only force oil through the mains and rod bearings, but those are the most critical.

Draining the gas is a good idea after 10 years. Many tanks have drain plugs, but if you syphone most of it out and refill the tank you shouldn't have to worry about the little that is left. If you syphone it through the fuel pump line instead of the gas tank filler you will get a clean charge of fuel that far.

There's a start for you. Hope it starts first try. Let us know. [img]graemlins/banana.gif[/img]

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!