- Buick Cams from Kenne Bell, 401, 425
    - Nailhead Engine Specifications
- Head Flow Chart
- Nailhead Oil Pump
- Nailhead cam specs and cam selection
- Nailhead Parts Interchange

Thread: start up proceedure 25 years dorment 425 nailhead

start up proceedure 25 years dorment 425 nailhead

I am looking for advise on how to proceed in starting up a 425 nailhead that has been in storage for 25+ years.

How has it been stored? Dry gas tank or is there 25yo gas in there? If all was done correctly back then you'll have to do the following:

Check that the engine is free by attempting to turn it by the crank pulley. If its stuck you have big problems. It could be rusted in the cylinders. Disassembly and rebuilding would be the best way to go in that instance.

Fresh gas, oil and filter change, fresh air filter, replace or clean fuel filter before the gas gets to it, fresh battery, fresh plugs, distributor cap, rotor and spark wires. Buy an oil pump priming tool. Get new points and condensor as well then put it on the side. Replace the antifreeze.
    Replace all the above except the points if they aren't corroded or burnt. Replacing the points will change the base timing and the engine may not start if they are too far off. Check the current point gap for a baseline.
    Mark the position of the distributor rotor and the distributor body. Remove the distributor and with the fresh oil and filter change prime the oil pump until the drill slows considerably. Replace the distributor and rotor in the correct positions and prime the carburetor with fresh gas crank to start. It will run and stall prime the carb again and crank to start. It may take a few tries until the fuel pump gets pressure to the carb. The fuel pump diaphragm may have dried out. If it doesn't run on it's own after 4-5 tries you will most likely have to replace the pump.
    Once you have it running you should replace the points and adjust the dwell then the timing to spec.

There is a chance that the carb may need a rebuild after sitting that long as the accelerator pump and gaskets may have dried out as well.
    If you do get it running expect oil leaks until the rope front and rear main seals have fully soaked with oil and swell up again. Keep an eye on the transmission as well as those seals may have dried and shrunk too unless it's a stick shift. If that happened the trans will need to be pulled and resealed. Once running the trans fluid and filter should be replaced. Before driving the car replace the rear axle oil.

If there is ANY old gas still in the tank it should be dropped and flushed before doing anything else. Also if old gas was in it the fuel line should be flushed as well especially if fuel dried in there.
    Keep in mind your starter alternator and water pump may have gone bad after sitting that long.
    The worst thing for any mechanical device is non use especially if stored in a somewhat humid environment.
    Good luck!

start up proceedure 25 years dorment 425 nailhead

Thank you oldfoneguy.
    You spent a lot of time in providing this detailed informative information. It's mich appreciated.
    Interestingly, I worked in the phone industry too.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jaytee2014 View Post
    Thank you oldfoneguy.
    You spent a lot of time in providing this detailed informative information. It's mich appreciated.
    Interestingly, I worked in the phone industry too.
    John
    Your welcome John. I've resurrected many vehicles over the years and this is my more or less standard checklist. Depending on make and age there will be a few variables. Changing all fluids is the standard among all. I didn't mention it but you should change your power steering fluid too.