- Buick F-263 Head/Gasket Swaps, effects on compression
- Straight Eight Engine Specifications
-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update

Thread: How hot do intake manifolds get ?

How hot do intake manifolds get ?

Maybe it's too late but I primed my newly blasted intake manifold with primer rated at 170 degree max. Does anyone know how hot these straight 8 intakes get ? It's a stock 263 engine.

I recall regular enamel paint is good for about 300 degrees. That's what I was going to use as a top coat.

I really don't want to strip off the primer so I may find out directly when the car gets running again. Thanks guys !

Quote Originally Posted by hardaground View Post
    Maybe it's too late but I primed my newly blasted intake manifold with primer rated at 170 degree max. Does anyone know how hot these straight 8 intakes get ? It's a stock 263 engine.

I recall regular enamel paint is good for about 300 degrees. That's what I was going to use as a top coat.

I really don't want to strip off the primer so I may find out directly when the car gets running again. Thanks guys !
    Not sure, exhaust runs through the later intakes. They get hot enough to burn virtually any paint off. That's the beauty of aluminum intakes. They dissipate heat so much faster than cast iron that paint stays put. Does exhaust heat the straight eight intake?
    Larry

1970 GS455 Stage1 Race weight 4025 lbs.
    TSP 470, 602 HP, 589 TQ
    MT headers, Gear Vendors Overdrive
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    1998 Riviera SC3800

Quote Originally Posted by LARRY70GS View Post
    Not sure, exhaust runs through the later intakes. They get hot enough to burn virtually any paint off. That's the beauty of aluminum intakes. They dissipate heat so much faster than cast iron that paint stays put. Does exhaust heat the straight eight intake?
    Thanks Larry,

No, the 2 intakes are separate except where the heat riser joins them. That's probably where the paint would burn off first. I topcoated the intake today with a tough but not a high heat chassis enamel from Bill Hirsch. I'll know if it cooks off in a month or so when I fire it back up !

Quote Originally Posted by LARRY70GS View Post
    Only a small area directly beneath the carb.

Ben

I think I would strip the primer and redo it. 170 degrees is just not going to make it. Under hood temperatures on a hot day can get at least close to that. Definitely the carb heat area under the carb will.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

You're probably right. I was rushing to keep the newly blasted iron from flashing and impatience got the best of me. I have an adjustable range heat gun and an IR temp gun so I might try to "duplicate' a hot engine and see what happens. The manifold won't fit in the wife's oven, not that she's let me use it anyway.