Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 340 Engine Rebuild

340 Engine Rebuild

Pulled out the engine, tore it down, and dropped the block off at the machine shop.
    I'm going to have it rebuilt back to specs, hopefully.
    Does anyone know a good source for the pistons I will need for a high compression 340?
    Attached Images Attached Images

TA Performance has the high and low compression pistons for the 300/340.
    Steve B.

67 GS 525 Buick Stage IV
    66 GS Convertible
    65 GS HT
    63 Riv
    02 Subaru WRX Turbo
    03 Ford Cobra Convertible (Factory Supercharged)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Frankenbuick View Post
    TA Performance has the high and low compression pistons for the 300/340.
    Thanks.
    I see the TA pistons, but they don't list the compression ratio for the 300/340.
    In fact, they don't have much details listed
    http://taperformance.com/products.asp?cat=196

Rockauto.com has some low compression pistons listed, with all dimensions, for 2bbl builds.
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...216&cc=1493514

if you've got a cell phone, it doesn't cost anything to call them and ask for specs.

480-922-6807

if you don't have a cell, emails are also typically free

TAPerf@aol.com
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

if you've got a cell phone, it doesn't cost anything to call them and ask for specs.

480-922-6807

TAPerf@aol.com

the alternative is to talk directly to a piston manufacturer, a lot of times they'll have an old pattern on file and be able to make it. do you want stock type high comp replacement, hyper or forged?

the other alternative is that they might be able to point you at substitute piston that is similar to or just slightly larger than your stock bore which you can use in place of what you have. you might could wind up running a metric motorcycle piston with one of those ultra thin ring packs.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post

480-922-6807

TAPerf@aol.com
    Right.
    TA seems to be the best bet for what I want, which is to restore it as close to stock as I can.
    There are valve marks on two of the pistons, and a nice wear ridge on the cylinder wall.
    Machinist says we should get new pistons, so I was trying to put together a list of options to go over with him.
    So far I have found only these options for a stock bore;
    1) Sealed Power W279P
    2) Silv-O-Lite 1724-STD
    3) TA Performance TA_1601

I'll have to give TA a call for to ensure they have high compressions pistons beforehand, it seems. Thanks!

One other supplier which shows 340 pistons with both compression ratios is www.egge.com

Some suppliers may be able to reference the original Buick part nos. The high-compression 340 piston and pin set in standard size is 1395312. The low-compression in standard is 1395184. The parts book has oversize part numbers too if required.

Www.buickfarm.com shows to have the OEM Buick standard size part nos in stock. Don't know if they would have enough for a full set of 8 or an oversize set. A single piece could serve as a model for other vendors if nothing else works.

Modern composite head gaskets will probably be thicker than the original .020 steel gaskets. This will drop the compression ratio some from the original numbers. This will help in avoiding knock from lower-octane modern fuels. Also better for use with any block or head imperfections. Buick used a thicker .045 gasket (approx the modern thickness) occasionally. Dealers were also instructed to install them on cars with difficult engine-knock problems.
    Last edited by TODD; 02-27-2019 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Correct web address; add gasket comments
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Quote Originally Posted by TODD View Post
    One other supplier which shows 340 pistons with both compression ratios is www.egge.com

Some suppliers may be able to reference the original Buick part nos. The high-compression 340 piston and pin set in standard size is 1395312. The low-compression in standard is 1395184. The parts book has oversize part numbers too if required.

Www.thebuickfarm.com shows to have the OEM Buick standard size part nos in stock. Don't know if they would have enough for a full set of 8 or an oversize set. A single piece could serve as a model for other vendors if nothing else works.
    Perfect! Thanks!
    Egge Piston Set

Quote Originally Posted by TODD View Post

Modern composite head gaskets will probably be thicker than the original .020 steel gaskets. This will drop the compression ratio some from the original numbers. This will help in avoiding knock from lower-octane modern fuels. Also better for use with any block or head imperfections. Buick used a thicker .045 gasket (approx the modern thickness) originally to create the lower-compression export motors. Dealers were also instructed to install them on cars with difficult engine-knock problems.
    Good to know. After the rebuild, a thick head gasket will give me a little leeway in octane and a bit lower compression. Thanks
    I'm gonna see what the machinist thinks about just replacing the two pistons with NOS, or buying 8 NOS.
    That website had 22 in stock, amazing! Thank you.

OK, talked to machine shop. He recommends going with the lower compression pistons @ .030 overbore to clean up the cylinder walls.
    Looks like NOS won't work unless I have her resleeved for about a $1000 more.