Thread: New guy. Building a 1979 231 to put into a 1967 Jeep Commando. Old Daunless was blown

New guy. Building a 1979 231 to put into a 1967 Jeep Commando. Old Daunless was blown

Looking for information on intake manifold. I took the turbo off of the engine because of clearance issues with the master cylinder. Wondering If an aftermarket Edelbrock 4Bbl would provide enough more horsepower to make the $300 manifold and $400 carburetor worth purchasing. I plan on putting shorty headers on it. I have a 2Bbl manifold, just need a carburetor for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

If the engine is a turbo engine and had a two barrel carb it's a relative rare engine. You can make the swaps but you should consider the cam also. The turbo engine didn't need the valves open as much as it was force fed. To get more horse power you need to reconsider the air intake of the thing. Cheaper to do a little hood mods and have a real cool engine that will carry the car down the road as good or better than the redone one.
    1979 TRegal

Buick 231 intake

The engine had the 4 barrel carburetor but I had two take it off due to clearance issues. I’m putting this engine in a Jeep Commando and there was clearance issues with the carb contacting the master cylinder. Was wondering I’d I need to put on a 4 barrel aftermarket intake to get more power and if I would get enough power to justify the extra cost.

Sorry, I guess I read it wrong. You're not going to get the HP you are expecting converting the turbo engine. The plenum of the turbo engine places the carb over the drivers valve cover for those that don't know. I can see your problem. I thought you were having hood clearance trouble but if I had paid attention to the Jeep part, I would have figured it out.

I have seen cares made in the 30's - 60's that have been modified to power brakes. They have a smaller booster than many of the 70's and such cars. You could look for a smaller booster and master than the one in your Jeep and go that way. You could make new motor mounts and move the engine but then again I can't picture the magnitude of your problem.

The 231 is a peppy little engine even without the turbo. TA has everything you would need but it will cost and you will need to go internal to squeeze the hp out of it. You could also go with nitrous. The bottom end of the turbo engine will handle that. It's manufactured to.

Good luck! Keep us informed. Any turbo parts left over could help defray your cost. There is a market, how ever small, but there.
    1979 TRegal

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    The engine had the 4 barrel carburetor but I had two take it off due to clearance issues. I’m putting this engine in a Jeep Commando and there was clearance issues with the carb contacting the master cylinder. Was wondering I’d I need to put on a 4 barrel aftermarket intake to get more power and if I would get enough power to justify the extra cost.
    I will put a 2Bbl. Manifold on it, just need to find a carburetor for it. If it does not have enough power I will go to the Edelbrock manifold and 4 Bbl. carburetor. Thanks for your time. I love these little V6’s, don’t know anything about them except for what I’ve read.