Thread: Swiss GS455

Swiss GS455

Howdy. Just introducing myself, as well.

I am a longtime GS owner and previously owned an '87 Grand National, which I bought new, then sold in 1994 with 80,000 miles.

My current Buick is a 1970 GS455 convertible. It was purchased in 1992, and I did most of the restoration myself (excluding paint and engine machine work). It had led a hard life prior to 1992. It has a 1970 455 in it, but the numbers do not match. Also the rear end is a non-posi unit from a '69 Oldsmobile.

I recently imported it to Switzerland, where we live, after storing it with a friend in Arizona for nine years. The move was a disaster, with the car arriving with thrown belts, a broken alternator and blown transmission that required a full rebuild. So I had lots of new work to do.

I also previously owned and did lots of work on a 1970 GS with the 350.

Looking forward to helping where I can and learning from others.

Kind regards,

Dan Rabil

I recently imported it to Switzerland, where we live, after storing it with a friend in Arizona for nine years. The move was a disaster, with the car arriving with thrown belts, a broken alternator and blown transmission that required a full rebuild.

what in the heck?

were they doing burnouts with it, or what?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Hey. It was insane. My most logical guess is that the (new) battery died due to a light being left on, they fried the alternator trying to start it, then towed it with the transmission in reverse by mistake. The fuel was empty, but the mileage was unchanged. Lots of other little electrical problems, too (headlights, turn signals, wiper washer), which might be from sitting in salty air for weeks en route.

Next project is replacing turn signal switch, which conveniently inspires me to install a repro rally steering wheel to replace the dull original plastic wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by BaarHeel View Post
    Howdy. Just introducing myself, as well.

I am a longtime GS owner and previously owned an '87 Grand National, which I bought new, then sold in 1994 with 80,000 miles.

My current Buick is a 1970 GS455 convertible. It was purchased in 1992, and I did most of the restoration myself (excluding paint and engine machine work). It had led a hard life prior to 1992. It has a 1970 455 in it, but the numbers do not match. Also the rear end is a non-posi unit from a '69 Oldsmobile.

I recently imported it to Switzerland, where we live, after storing it with a friend in Arizona for nine years. The move was a disaster, with the car arriving with thrown belts, a broken alternator and blown transmission that required a full rebuild. So I had lots of new work to do.

I also previously owned and did lots of work on a 1970 GS with the 350.

Looking forward to helping where I can and learning from others.

Kind regards,

Dan Rabil

then towed it with the transmission in reverse by mistake.

clonk.gif

damn. best be avoiding those dumb asses next time.

it's bad enough they aren't competent to find Neutral, then they also aren't smart enough to pick up the drive axle for the tow. there are no words.

considering the amount of stupidity involved, i'm wondering if they tried to jump the battery with the leads backwards. that might be what toasted the Alt. if they did that, they probably also wasted your new battery.

and they may have also scorched the wiring harness .... which would explain all the rest of your electrical gremlins.

if that's what happened, you may as well just replace the entire wiring harness. intermittent shorts through half melted insulation is not something you're going to want to waste time trying to trouble shoot.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)