- Carter Dual 4-Barrel Carburetor Idle Adjustment
    - Trouble Shooting Carburetor Problems
- Buick Carburetor Types and Numbers
- Buick Carter "V8" Carburetor Numbers and Specifications
- Rebuilding a Fuel Vacuum Pump

Thread: Information gathering on EFI

Information gathering on EFI

Don’t shoot me for moving off original.

Just trying to get some info for adding something like a Holley Sniper EFI to my 67 GS 400. I believe the car will run better and have better gas milage. I drive my car around 1000 per year.

My questions are
    1- has anyone run into problems adding EFI, pros and cons
    2- can I still use my StarWars air cleaner,
    3- brand suggestions.

Thanks all.

I would be surprised if you star wars air cleaner would fit.

With typical driving for 1000 miles a year at 15 mpg is about 67 gallons per year. If you got a 20% increase, you would save about 13 gallons of gas... Not much payback.

I find most people complaining about mpg have ignition issues which a good tune up shop can fix. ( or if you are keen on fixin' things you can too ). And, as soon as ignition is mentioned, everyone want pointless HEIs. I am not a real strong supporter of that either, the main benefit being a hotter spark, which you can get with a high performance coil and points ( for restoration you can take that red/yellow/chrome coil and paint it black and no-one even notices its there ).

Sorry, maybe the next reply will be more supporting

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks Bob

I appreciate the input which is exactly what I am requesting.
    I only recently got my mpg up to 13 per gallon from 8 mpg by replacing a holley carb with a quadrajet. I could never get that holley tuned right.

If you are right about a 20% gain in efficiency, and I think you are, I will pass on the EFI.

Thanks again.

Here is a link to an out of print book on ebay. It is one I think anyone interested in performance should read before making choices.

Performance with Economy by David Vizard

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Efi

Bob is right on payback. BUT! EFI has many other pluses. Absolutely no more "vapor lock". Starts each and every time. The ECM can control the ignition timing. Always spot on.

I have EFI on my straight eight. Since 2012. I drive a little more than you do. 15,000 + since 2010.

Return on investment? Probably not. Unless one drives more. Reliability? Yep.

Do it and drive more!

Ben