- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams

Thread: Original Battery for 455

Original Battery for 455

Hi everyone,

Does anyone knows what was ampere rate of Delco Energizer R89S and C89? I want to change my battery and want to chose the right battery, In shop manual R89S is standard and C89 optional for 455 engines and I need their specs for choosing best battery from new batteries.

It's a group 24 battery. Simply get the most powerful one you can find. No downsides to that.
    Larry

1970 GS455 Stage1 Race weight 4025 lbs.
    TSP 470, 602 HP, 589 TQ
    MT headers, Gear Vendors Overdrive
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    1998 Riviera SC3800

Attached is the spec page on the R89S from a 1977 Delco battery catalog. The C89 was the original maintenance-free side terminal battery used on '71-75 models. The 89-5 Freedom Battery succeeded it in '76 and is shown in another page from the catalog.

These are BCI group 74 size batteries and are no longer in production based on all the data I could find. The closest thing available to these originals would be one of the Group 78 batteries from ACDelco. Their top-of-the-line units like the 78-5YR have very high CCA ratings.

The group 78 case is shorter than the group 74. The last ones I bought have a spacer block that snaps on to the bottom to add an extra 7/8" in height. Then the top clamp fits the same as on a group 74.

Did your earlier post on the vacuum advance unit get deleted? I was going to answer, but it was gone the next day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Thanks Todd for the catalog pages, I found today a 90Ah battery very high CCA. I don`t know what group size it is (11.88x5x7.87 inches) but my GS is 1974 and it fits really nice in there. This was most powerful battery with acceptable size. I hope that my Alternator can handle it, It is aftermarket 10SI style two wire alternator, I`m not sure what ampere it is because it has no numbers or label on it.

And yes , I started a tread for distributor vacuum advanced but it disappeared and I don`t know why...

The new battery and alternator should work fine together. The challenge for the alternator is to produce enough amps to power engine, lights, and all accessories with a little left over for battery charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Houtan View Post

And yes , I started a tread for distributor vacuum advanced but it disappeared and I don`t know why...
    That is strange, I don't see any sign of it, and I don't remember it. It is especially strange that at least two of you saw it and I can't find any trace of it. You will have to post it again.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    That is strange, I don't see any sign of it, and I don't remember it. It is especially strange that at least two of you saw it and I can't find any trace of it. You will have to post it again.
    It was posted one Thursday since around Thanksgiving. Then someone else issued one reply. Then post turned up missing the next morning. There was no notation of a post deletion like usually appears.

The post could not be found under searching on this site. It would show up in a Google search using key words for a few days, but now it's gone on there as well.

I need their specs for choosing best battery from new batteries.

as long as you have the proper Voltage and enough Current ( CCA or Cold Cranking Amps ), and the proper terminals ( so you can connect your cables ) and form factor ( so it will fit properly in your tray ), any battery will do.

all modern automotive batteries are +12v, so that's not a problem.

NAPA suggests batteries as weak as 540 CCA. if it were me, i'd just go with an Optima Red Top and have 800CCA as well as long discharge times and better battery life.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)