- 400/430/455 Poston Cams Grinds and Numbers
- 400/430/455 Kenne-Bell Cams Grinds and Numbers
- Buick 455 Drag Strip Tests from Kenne-Bell
    - Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button

Thread: 15 year old fresh engine... what to do!?

15 year old fresh engine... what to do!?

Holy heck guys, I recently picked up a 1967 Riviera, and it was a long time project that never made it out of the garage apparently. So here is what I am dealing with: the 430 was rebuilt in 2002/3 and it was put back in the car with the heads and exhaust manifolds installed (valve covers just sat in place without bolts). The engine was covered with plastic at that point and left. Forward to today. I have the intake/gaskets, distributor assembly, and all the parts ready to get put on, but I want to know what you would do before I turn it over by hand. This isn't my first big block or Riviera, but it is the first time I have had an engine that has sat for this long without being fired for the first time. I already put Marvels down the cylinders, in the valley, and in the heads. There isn't any rust, I cleaned the dust and cobwebs out of it, and am rebuilding the carb. Ideas and advice?
    Riviera Dude

why not just pull the engine apart and give it a quick once over? that way you don't have to worry about rust scale clogging up the piston rings or anything like that.

do you know who did the rebuild?

do you know if the engine was rebuilt to the tight Buick bearing clearances?

do you know if any of the oil system mods or improvements were made? 5/8" oil pickup ( last three years of 455 production, 1973-76 ) would be the most obvious. if it's still got the OEM 1/2" pickup that the 430ci came with, you are pretty much certain to need to go through and do the entire suite of mods.

did they install neoprene main seals? if it's still got the rope seals, you want to contact www.TAPerformance.com, those are only a few bucks.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I can't say for sure, because it wasn't me doing the work. I was told by the owner that yes, they did fix the typical oiling issue and did a different cam. I put a scope down the cylinders and they look great. If I had the place to pull the engine and go through it, I would. But that isn't in the cards. Personally I am not extremely concerned with this engine since I received a stock 72 455 complete to rebuild for it. I just want to make this run as well as I can and get it out of the garage. What oil would you guys recommend for starting it up and then running it on?
    Riviera Dude

Rotella 15w-40 has always worked great for me.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

At one time, diesel oil was a good alternative to oil that had reduced levels of ZDDP for emissions reasons, but diesels are low RPM engines with different detergent package needs. The calcium detergents in the oil are antagonistic to the ZDDP, so the balance has to be correct. Brad Penn, and Joe Gibbs Racing make oil with all the right chemistry for older flat tappet engines. Use one of their oils.
    Larry

1970 GS455 Stage1 Race weight 4025 lbs.
    TSP 470, 602 HP, 589 TQ
    MT headers, Gear Vendors Overdrive
    Best E.T. 11.54 Best MPH, 116.06
    1998 Riviera SC3800

There are Zinc (ZDDP) additive supplements for motor oils available in stock at most auto parts stores. It is also recommended for breaking in rebuilt engines. Here is one by Lucas:
    Dave

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...DP+additive%27

Before you put the valve covers on remove the distributor if you put it in and prime the oil pump so you see a good amount of oil at the top end. Put the valve covers on replace the distributor and fire it up before all the oil drains back down. I use a high quality 10-30W conventional oil and put in the ZDDP additive before the last quart. Wait a while so it settles check the dipstick and add what needs to be from the last quart usually a half quart as the additive is about that much. I don't know why but the oils with ZDDP already in them aren't available here and shipping costs are prohibitive.
    Seeing as the engine was rebuilt with a new cam I would pull the intake and make sure there is a generous amount of break in lube on the cam and bearings. From sitting so long it may have drained off or solidified. If you don't know this always use premium gas that's a high compression engine. - Bill