- 1966 Wiring Diagrams
- 1967 Wiring Diagrams
- 1968 Wiring Diagrams
- 1972 Wiring Diagrams
- 1975 Wiring Diagrams
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 65 401 Nailhead Switch Pitch wiring help

65 401 Nailhead Switch Pitch wiring help

Everything is hooked but someone cut the orange wire which I believe is the 12v power supply and I can not see where it went originally. Just curious where I should get power from.

The '63 models did not have a detent downshift or electrical switch-pitch feature, so no connector was brought out of the harness like on the '65. The '65 harness feed was a second yellow wire comimg from the wiper motor fuse. That orange wire was probably yellow at one time.

To power up the detent downshift switch and the switch-pitch switches in a '63 model, splice into the wiper motor feed wire. For '63 the wiper motor feed wire is brown.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Thanks that make sense because of the engine and tranny being a 65. Going to work on that today and see what a difference it will make.

pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

so brown wire out of wiper motor is constant power supply

Yes.

It looks like the switch-pitch idle stator switch (on throttle linkage up near firewall) is not wired in. Maybe the wiring is just not visible in these pix.

Orange/Yellow wire is spliced into the brown wiper wire, looks like Im all wired up and ready for a drive. Will it kick into to a lower gear at part throttle also or is this just a kick down only at full throttle ?

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

The kickdown switch will only do a downshift (3-2 or 2-1) at full throttle. Many TH400 units will do a part-throttle 3-2 downshift at speeds under 33 mph. The part-throttle downshift is done hydraulically within the valve body. However most early TH400s in the switch-pitch years used with bigger engines like the 401 are not built to do part-throttle downshifts.

Ok well I went for a drive. Two things happened it drove great and it did not creep and move by itself like it did before which was very nice. Almost acted like it had a stall convertor. You had to give it just a little gas to move but it did not downshift at full throttle. When I got back home I wanted to check the wires that went to the tranny. Someone had bad cut and tape job in one area,so I wanted to fix that. I removed the entire wire from tranny to switch. The tranny connection did not look like it was on all the way also. So this what the tranny end looks like. It looks like part of a terminal is broke off,maybe inside the trans connector. I need to jack the car up so I can see what is going on still. Interesting I pulled it back in garage with the wires off trans and it seemed to move on it own faster.
    Attached Images Attached Images