Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from new UK member

Hello from new UK member

Hello to all Team Buick members.
    I am new to the Buick community and also to forums...Let see how I do!
    I have had my 1939/1940 Buick coupe for a while but I have been playing with old slow cars for over 25 years.

I apologise beforehand for any vocabulary errors, Americans and British English have about 5000 different words for the same thing and I am convinced they are all automotive!

I found Team Buick by chance and I have a particular area of interest that I cannot get help from where I live. The UK is not, on the whole, American car friendly and Buicks are almost unknown.

While working on my stock Buick coupe I generated a pile of bits including, a "registered" chassis (frame) and a 263 engine. I have decided to turn it all into a 2 seater speedster, light and fast. No complete car will be damaged to make my speedster....I just hate wasting all that fabulous old tech!

I am looking for info on period 37/38/39/40/41 "specials" (modified to be race cars). I would like to use all Buick period parts and metal where possible! here in the UK there is very little custom traditional and we tend to build period correct specials if no original body is available.
    Sorry about the long letter and thanks for your help. Anthony

Photo Buick coupe

How do I add photos? Thanks

How do I add photos?

there is an icon just above the text entry screen, on the same row as the Text Modifier buttons ( B I U ), approximately in the middle of the screen, immediately to the right of the two globes ( Link and Unlink ). if you mouse over the icon and allow the pointer to sit there for a moment a tag will come up which will say "insert image".

this is also to the immediate left of the "insert Video" button.

you can either link elsewhere from the internet / Cloud or upload directly from your local hard drive.

you might be blocked from these options if you have less than 10 posts to the board.

so far as Buick Str-8 race cars are concerned, we have several extensive threads on here about such things as Bonneville Salt cars and we also have an old hop up article from a magazine:

https://www.teambuick.com/forums/con...comments_97188
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I have tried to upload a photo of my running coupe...I hope its visible
    Attached Images Attached Images

that is a very sharp car.

if you need a photo editing program, Irfanview is pretty good and it's free. that would allow you to do things like rotate the picture 90 degrees.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

photo ...again!

Thanks for the advice

buick.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is the 1940 RHD or LHD?
    Is the chassis RHD or LHD? I assume you have documentation for this (registered)?
    Photo of the chassis would be good.
    When better Automobiles were built, Buick built Straight 8's

Buick Club of America
    and Buick Club of Australia

Hi 1939 Buick

Hi, yes it is a 39 built car but with over half of the body missing and a 263 engine. It was highly modified and really it is a pile of bits. It also had a reduction gear box added and the frame has been cut at the cross point of the x bracing. To add insult to injury the torque tube is gone and leaf springs have been crudely put in place of the coils. It is lhd and xtremely sad to look at! My idea is to reinstate rear coils and add a open drive line with proper positioning/ torsion bars (2 or 4?). Does a kit exist since I barely have rear suspension? If I could find a complete torque tube and rear spring supports that would also be a plan, but possibly even more difficult to try here in Europe! The engine has a 3 speed box, steering column type, I think! Is it ready to convert to floor change or best to stick with the original? The photos make it look better than it is! Surprisingly it is a road worthy car or was before I started taking it apart! Thanks for your interest. Can’t find the way to add photos from my iPhone....!! I will try again later.
    Last edited by Anthony2; 11-12-2018 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Errors

project photos

These photos show chassis with strange reduction gearbox. The body was less than half there and had a perverted pick-up truck body shape but I do have a 263 engine to go back in. The strange mounts were for a small petrol engine that was dumped into the space. The idea is to build a two seater special which will not be original but would be all Buick steel. Imagine a 2 seater convertible modified to a narrow bodied configuration with separate removable wings for racing. Small and light. A bit like the Buick Merc. racer but with Buick body instead or a Mercedes and lowered and narrowed on Buick running gear. A coupe would be as fake, starting with what I have, and a lot less fun to do! what do you think? Opinions welcome even cruel ones!!!
    IMG_1482.jpgIMG_1478.jpgBu-Merc-front-3-4-900x600.jpg

Any photo's of what is used to be?
    Did it have a str 8 engine or just the small petrol engine?
    Years ago there was a '39Buick for sale in UK with a very rough van type body

You don't have much to work with. Any more photos the body bits you now have?

For the rear you could fit a XJ6 diff assembly, but that may too wide.

Do you have a '39 Buick gearbox?
    I have read somewhere that 37 or 38 floor change can fit the later column change post 39 casing (5 bolt cover)
    When better Automobiles were built, Buick built Straight 8's

Buick Club of America
    and Buick Club of Australia