Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from new UK member

Quote Originally Posted by 1939_buick View Post
    Any photo's of what is used to be?
    Did it have a str 8 engine or just the small petrol engine?
    Years ago there was a '39Buick for sale in UK with a very rough van type body

You don't have much to work with. Any more photos the body bits you now have?

For the rear you could fit a XJ6 diff assembly, but that may too wide.

Do you have a '39 Buick gearbox?
    I have read somewhere that 37 or 38 floor change can fit the later column change post 39 casing (5 bolt cover)
    Hi 39 Buick. I don´t know much about the car. here is a photo of it when I first saw it before dismounting it. It had a small four cylinder petrol engine now removed and I also have a 263 (thats what i think it is due to the feet positions) and a 3 (I think) speed box which you can see in the photo of the engine. I will take some more photos of it this weekend since I know nothing about it. And that´s about it! I will check XJ6 dimension, They are easy to get here and would be a great start although I do have the rear axle and dif. with hubs, just no coils or torque tube! I have restored cars over the years at a hobby level and my last project was an Austin 7 Special, so although I am terrified of the project I am still going to have a go......with this forums help!!!!! Thanks

BZQS8988.jpgIMG_1408.jpgIMG_1449.jpgs-l500.jpgIMG_0102.jpgIMG_0773.jpg

Certainly looks interesting. A lot of car for a small engine to move about (Triumph?). I like the pickup style photo from above

The mid side engine mounts came out in 1948, but the engine serial number will identify.
    https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...ine_til_52.php
    You will need the front engine plate mount, like on the 1940, to easily fit to the '39 chassis. A simple bolt on.

1939 have a small jack shaft/torque tube from the gearbox to the X member and then the longer main torque tube. Different from 1940.
    If the diff 1939? Is the torque tube is riveted into the diff. From 1940 went to a flanged torque tube-diff connection

You need a '39 running chassis. This was sale in UK in 2014. Sold for a lot - £870.00 (too much in my opinion)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When better Automobiles were built, Buick built Straight 8's

Buick Club of America
    and Buick Club of Australia

Hi 1939 Buick. It is sadly comforting to see someone who has even less bits than me, thanks for the photos!!! I will soon strip back the rear "body" to have a good look at the damage done to the frame/chassis and then decide on what to do next. You mentioned I will need a front engine support...I had a look at my coupe's 248 engine and could work out the front support. Have you any photos of a 263 mounted in the frame? Does the gearbox (seen in the photo. I previously posted) also has a support beam, mine is missing? The engine that was in the car was a small fiat petrol unit from the late fifties. Thanks
    Anthony

The 263 should mount the same as your 1940 248

1939 gearboxes have many parts that are 1 year only. 1940 and later is a better gearbox. Any other photos of the gearbox?

Image if from a 1939 sales catalogue.
    Have other images on '39 chassis. Just need to find them on the computer.
    1939 series 40 had 2 chassis versions: short (as image) and long (full length introduced ~ 3 -4 months into production) [Bodies on short chassis can flex]

Edit.
    Chassis images added
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1939_buick; 11-19-2018 at 12:56 PM.
    When better Automobiles were built, Buick built Straight 8's

Buick Club of America
    and Buick Club of Australia

IMG_2120.jpgIMG_2121.jpgIMG_2122.jpgIMG_2123.jpg
    Hi again. Here are some photos of my spare engine and gearbox. I had a good look at my coupe special and the engine mounts are at the front and rear while this engine (I was told it was a 263 but I will be checking its engine number this weekend) has two legs at an odd angle about 1/3 from the front of the engine and a mounting flange just before the gearbox. Those legs would help because I was thinking of moving it back as far as I could to improve weight distribution.... The gearbox also has a ball joint which could perhaps be used with an open driveshaft? What type of box is this and do you know if can it be used as a floor change unit? The chassis also has a strange gearbox in the middle which, according to a senior petrol-head friend of mine was a gear reduction unit which...in theory...could be reversed and used as an overdrive, in theory...NO IDEA!!!Thanks for your help. Are you in Europe you seem to know a lot about UK cars?
    Last edited by Anthony2; 11-20-2018 at 09:55 AM. Reason: errors