Thread: Steering column

Steering column

Hi

Does anyone know if the steering column in a 1966 Riviera is the same as the other Buick or GM models of the same year?

I think I have something shorting out in there and its playing havoc with my lights. I only have headlights and one set of signal lights but the signal light indicator on the dash board indicates that the opposite side is working.

When I try to look for the stuff through NAPA they say they cant get nothing but a friend said he got what he needed for his 65 impala.

I plan to take it apart but would like to have replacement parts before I do.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

So...I got my OPG Catalog today and it looks like I can the switchs and relays I need...just not for a 1966.

So I have a updated question. Would the switches,relays,wiring etc be the same in a 1967?

Thanks

Tony

Wiring

First thing I would be checking is GROUNDS. If fuses and /or breakers are not burning/opening, I would not suspect a short. Check for dirty grounds.

Ben

Yeah I have had to sort out some of the grounds but there might be others that I missed.

The thing is everything was working before the interior went in and now it is not. I think that means something finally broke or shorted. I will check the grounds again though...you are not the only person to suggest that.

Thanks

Tony

You say it started after interior work and its affecting the rear lights? Your rear body harness is damaged somewhere between the firewall and the trunk. This is the wiring for the taillights to the firewall. Your going to have to pull the seats and carpet. If you have buckets you'll only have to pull the driver and rear seat, the cable uasually runs on the driver side. Take up the sill plate carefully pull the carpet out and you'll see it. Look for signs of damage top and bottom and you should find your problem. - Bill

Had the same problem with a '66 some years back. Turned out to be a flat wire connector in the trunk that wasn't plugged in all the way.

Thanks guys. I really dont want to rip the interior out so I will check out all the other possibilities first. Then if I have to its because I jad no other choice.
    I am gonna go over the car with a meter when I have a day.

Like they said, disconnect the rear wiring harness at the plug and see how your problems behave. If they go away, then pull the interior.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks Bob.

I am hoping to get a chance to fool around with it in the next couple of weeks.

I will start there and see how it goes.