Thread: New Member from Germany

New Member from Germany

Hi,
    my name is Markus. I live near Berlin (Capitol of Germany). I did not own a Buick car, but we have an Buick 300 V8 in a 1961 Chevrolet Corvair Truck. We did not build it, we bought it with this conversion. The owner of the truck is my wife, I'm only the mechanic .

The engine is a 1966 or 67 with iron heads and intake (2bbl of course). There is a ST400 behind the 300.
    We bought a 1964 engine with a damaged rod, this engine has aluminium heads and 2bb intake we want to bolt on our engine.
    If I can find a aluminium 4bbl intake we will change to that one.
    We want saving weight on the Corvair front suspension, thats why we change to the aluminium parts. My wife don't need much more performance.
    I'm thinking about to switch the ignition from points to magnetic of hall effect.
    We also have to build headers for this application.

My personal car is a 1955 Chevrolet 150 with Posi Trac rear, Muncie trans and a 355 sbc.

A good friend owns a 1971 Buick Rivera Boatstail GS Stage II 455 cui for over 20 years and I helping him sometimes.

the aluminum head / intake mark your spare 300 as a 1964. the aluminum parts were only available for the first year of 300ci production and no other Buick small block variant shares this deck height, the 215ci is shorter and the 340 / 350 are taller.

aluminum Buick 215 / Rover 3.5L to 4.6L heads can put on the 300ci block but if you attempt to use a Rover / 215 intake you're going to need to fab up spacer plates.

so your intake is a one year only piece.

I'm thinking about to switch the ignition from points to magnetic of hall effect.

an HEI distributor from a mid-70s and up Buick 350 will drop into the timing cover, although there may be interference issues that you'll need to work around.

i would guess there would be something available from mid-70s to 80s Rover v8s, but i have no idea what they were doing back then.

timing covers from Rovers, Buick v6s, etc will swap onto the block and, depending on the specific cover, will clock the oil filter in different directions. if you've got tight clearances on the oil filter with the current installation you might want to look into that.

www.TAPerformance.com

www.AluminumV8.com

http://forum.britishv8.org/

Land Rover guys love to use the 300ci crankshaft for stroking projects so don't throw that spare away.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp...od-any-engine/
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    timing covers from Rovers, Buick v6s, etc will swap onto the block and, depending on the specific cover, will clock the oil filter in different directions. if you've got tight clearances on the oil filter with the current installation you might want to look into that.
    Good point, there is a relocating kit installed but I'm not lucky with it. Thanks for the advice. Maybe I find a cover with a better angle.

This is a better solution how to integrate a V8 in a Corvair drive train / trans axle. I wished the builder did it that way instead of what he did.