263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 52 head in a 53

52 head in a 53

I have a rebuilt 52 head and was wondering if I can use it in my 53. The shop manual says they are not interchangeable. ?????

That is in the shop manual?! I would think they are interchangeable. I had heard that the '53 was slightly improved for a gain of 5HP, but I cannot confirm that! The parts manual shows the standard trans. head interchanging from '50 to 53 for use with aluminum pistons. Don't know why.
    Last edited by Bob; 01-04-2016 at 07:42 AM.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

'52 head

Quote Originally Posted by frank-k View Post
    I have a rebuilt 52 head and was wondering if I can use it in my 53. The shop manual says they are not interchangeable. ?????
    Frank, what is the '52 head from? I can not imagine it not working if it is from a 263. Perhaps some small difference. Compare the two side by side. Can you , or some one with a '53 shop manual, show us the text that says they will not interchange?

Ben

I would say yes too , its interchangable... like all 263ers...
    I've heard, the only differend is that they start in '53 with testing the new alu pistons for the next year starting nailhead.

Jenz
    '38 Special Coupe, pimped 263 cui
    ---- LIFTERS CC GERMANY ----

Quote Originally Posted by firstofeight View Post
    Frank, what is the '52 head from? I can not imagine it not working if it is from a 263. Perhaps some small difference. Compare the two side by side. Can you , or some one with a '53 shop manual, show us the text that says they will not interchange?

Ben
    Hi Ben,
    The manual says;
    "For the 1953 production, slight changes in the shape of all piston heads and cylinder head combustion chambers have provided increased compression ratios without adversely affecting detonation characteristics. Modification of the combustion chambers permitted relocation of the spark plugs 5/16" nearer the center of the chambers, thereby shortening the effective flame travel."
    "The 1953 engine is identical with the 1952 engine except for the non-interchangeability of pistons and cylinder head"

I am going to pull the head this weekend and I'll compare the two. Iknow the new head is from a 1952 263, but that is all I know.

'52 head

If possible, perhaps you can take pictures of them side by side and post. Would be interesting.

Ben

You could probably do a quick casting numbers check on the 2 heads to see if they are the same casting number, this would reduce the doubt of interchangeability by at least half if they are the same.
    There's no such thing as too much cam....only not enough engine!

Quote Originally Posted by firstofeight View Post
    If possible, perhaps you can take pictures of them side by side and post. Would be interesting.

Ben
    Here are some pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe time for a rebuild???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heads

frank, thanks for the pictures. The piston/block pictures look good. I can not make much of the head pics. Was hoping for a side-by-side comparison. Can you see the difference?

May I inquire the reason you wanted to install the new [rebuilt?] head? From what one can see of the block, the engine is pretty clean. Is there much of a ridge at the top of the cylinders? Perhaps mic the cylinders to determine wear.

Ben