Thread: In a quandry, need advice

In a quandry, need advice

This probably sounds silly to some, but I can't decide what to do. I have a '64 skylark convertible that's almost all original and in pretty good shape overall. Runs and drives nicely, no rust and everything works...

I want to preserve the originality, but want to add USB power ports to the dash. Am considering something like this:
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07F84VV...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    (hope the link works).

The way I figure it, there are few options:

1.) Drill a new hole in the dash to mount it. In order to make the voltmeter visible, it would have to be on the face of the dash, obvious places are to the left of the instrument cluster or to the left of the glove box.
    2.) Mount it in the console (I have bucket seats and center console. Could drill a hole in the plastic and mount it there.
    3.) Replace the lighter. I think this would LOOK fine, but the hole in the dash would have to be enlarged a lot which would make it impossible to restore the lighter in the future.

At the moment #3 is my favorite, but haven't done anything permanent yet. I have not been able to find a replacement center console anywhere or I wouldn't hesitate to mount it there.

Any thoughts or advice??
    John

In the interest of keeping the car original, I do not recommend making a hole in the dash, or even enlarging the lighter hole. Instead, I suggest a 90 degree bracket that you can cut a hole in for the device and mount it under the dash on an existing bolt or screw. This way you can always remove the device and keep the car original.
    Best Regards,
    Ron

Why not use a regular cigarette adapter, then you don't have to modify anything?
    Click here for car usb adapter

What are you trying to do, charge a cell phone?

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by rcfryer View Post
    In the interest of keeping the car original, I do not recommend making a hole in the dash, or even enlarging the lighter hole. Instead, I suggest a 90 degree bracket that you can cut a hole in for the device and mount it under the dash on an existing bolt or screw. This way you can always remove the device and keep the car original.
    Thanks for the suggestion.. I will see what mounting locations are available and see if I know someone with some fabrication skills.. I have zero! lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Why not use a regular cigarette adapter, then you don't have to modify anything?
    Click here for car usb adapter

What are you trying to do, charge a cell phone?

I have a regular adapter that I use, but it's touchy in the cigarette lighter. Also like the idea of having the volt meter to keep an eye on the battery / generator.

hmm

Am considering another option as well..

Next to the lighter is the 'Accessory' switch that used to raise/lower the convertible top. Long before I bought the car, a rocker switch was added to the dash on the lower left side to do this.. I don't know why they did that, the original switch seems to work properly. At any rate, the original switch is useless now. I could enlarge that hole and put the usb ports there. Somehow 'Accessory' seems appropriate too

I could re-active the original switch, but that would leave me with a large rectangular hole in the dash that shouldn't be there.

You may want to think about where the wire (for the device being attached) will run. Any long loose wires in the drivers quadrant will find their way around the drivers legs and potentially get in the way. Can a plate be fitted and mounted in the ash tray, and install the device in there? Then you can close the ash tray for the original look and just open it when you're using the port.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnd1956 View Post
    You may want to think about where the wire (for the device being attached) will run. Any long loose wires in the drivers quadrant will find their way around the drivers legs and potentially get in the way. Can a plate be fitted and mounted in the ash tray, and install the device in there? Then you can close the ash tray for the original look and just open it when you're using the port.
    Thank you for the advice.. The cell phone holder is set up between the driver and passenger and the charging cord would be there as well, so no danger of imperial entanglements lol