Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake Pedal sticking

It sounds like you should have this problem sorted out soon Michael. Please let us know how it turns out and what the actual problem was should you resolve it. Best of luck with your Riviera, be safe and enjoy it. - Bill

Problem trapped?

Hi everybody, I think I got closer to the sticking pedal problem:

This is what I did today:

1. I narrowed the rubber hose between the brake booster valve and the filter with pliers, so that less vacuum was provided: At idle (700 rpm) the brake pedal didn't stick, but the booster worked. I tried this several times pushing the pedal very hard, it always came back.

2. I reved the engine at higher rpm (about 2000), the pedal stuck once and a time.

3. I fixed a 6 mm (outer diameter) copper hose like used for brake lines between booster valve and filter (see pic) and test drove several miles, used the brake until the wheels blocked, braked very hard several times, also in gear L2 and L2 (for higher revs), THE PEDAL ALWAYS CAME BACK!!

So my conclusion is: Your first guesses were right, it's the (new) brake booster which somehow doesn`t get along with the vacuum provided by the engine. Am I right?

Nevertheless I ordered a new brake booster which will arrive next weekend.

Cheers
    Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good job of narrowing down the problem Michael! Yes a booster should always be able to work with the full vacuum provided by the engine. Be sure to change that hose with a correct replacement. You don't want a problem with the new booster because the hose is collapsing under high vacuum.

The black valve on the engine is there to close the system toward the vacuum supply should the supply be lost. It would give you an extra stop with power without the engine running. But there is nothing there that will increase the vacuum which would cause your problem. At most your engine could supply 28-30" Hg which should not lock up a booster. My guess is the return spring in the booster is bad.

Let us know how it works out when you replace the booster. Personally I think that will solve the problem. Best of luck. - Bill

Smile Problem solved

Hi everybody, this afternoon I replaced the brake booster with a new one ("Centric" brand) and now everything works fine again. Of course I also fixed a wider gum hose between valve and filter.

Thank you all again for your help, that was a very nice experience to me!

Cheers
    Michael