Thread: New member - 1941 Buick

New member - 1941 Buick

Hi. I've read enough posts on here over the years that I figured it was high time to join the board. I'm in Maryland and have owned a few Buicks over the years (previously owned both a '56 Special and '55 Century, currently own a '41 Super). I bought the '41 as a fairly solid, two-owner car (it was in New York most of its life) and I'm building it in the early post-war custom style. The photo below was from about two summers ago; it's currently partially disassembled in my garage where I'm wrapping up the last of the bodywork and waiting for my parts to come back from chrome-plating for reassembly. Thanks for taking a look.
    Curt
    Attached Images Attached Images

'41 Super

Welcome!

I like it. Keeping the straight eight?

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by firstofeight View Post
    Keeping the straight eight?
    Thanks Ben. Yes, I am keeping a straight eight. I've rebuilt the three speed, and I'm in the process of going through a '49 248 that will be getting the compound carb set up off the original engine (which was good, but the '49 is a cleaner, lower mileage deal). I also have a rear out of a low mileage '54 Dynaflow car that I'm going to pirate the differential from to get a more highway friendly gear.
    Curt

Curt

Glad to hear you are keeping a REAL Buick engine! You will like the '54 gears. I did that in my '50. Now has a 3.36/1 . About 650 rpm less in third gear. Have to use 2nd more around town, but much better on the hwy.

I will keep watching .

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by firstofeight View Post
    I did that in my '50. Now has a 3.36/1 . About 650 rpm less in third gear. Have to use 2nd more around town, but much better on the hwy.
    Did you encounter anything tricky about the swap? I'm assuming it's best just to drop the rear and swap just the diff (keep my stock torque tube, prop shaft, housing, axles, etc). But if you have any advice, or if there are any tricks or pitfalls I should know about when I disassemble the '54 rear to pull the diff I'd appreciate it. Thanks Ben.
    Curt

rear end swap

Do you have a Buick Shop Manual? Cheapest "part" you can buy. Or just go up to references on here and download the 1952 Manual.

It was not too difficult. Pull the entire rear end assembly from beneath the car. Following the manual instructions, remove the axles. The rivits holding the torque arms to the torque tube will have to be drilled or ground out. Pull the gears out the front of the housing.Pretty obvious from there.

Ben