Thread: 55 Buick NEED Help with entire heating system.....

55 Buick NEED Help with entire heating system.....

I have a 55 Buick Special, I am trying to get the heating system working. As of now I cant move the heater Lever on the dashboard to hot, so Im guessing the heater valve is seized. Is there anyway to free it up? Does anyone rebuild it? Is there a different year I can in stall that works the same? Also Both the Defroster Blower motor and the under seat blower are really tough to turn but not totally seized. I tried to take apart the Defroster blower, but the bearing on the fan side of the motor came out so I think I ruined it. I was able to knock it off the shaft and polish and oil the shaft it spins freely now but I cant get the bearing back into the housing. Does anyone have a trick for that? What year blower motors interchange for both the under seat and defroster, I have to imagine a few years should interchange, and there's always some used blower motors on eBay. Or maybe someone on here has some extras they'd like to sell.

It is probably the cables that are frozen: soak with penetrating oil or wd40 and if still not free, remove and have a yard equipment repair place duplicate. The heater control valve (ranco valve) will not usually become unmovable, but they are a source of leaks and can be rebuilt. Loose bearings on the blower motors can stabilized with a sheet metal screw after drilling through the housing into the bearing.

According to Hollander, the part number is 5047718 and is only used in the '53 to 55 Buick. It does not mention the under seat heater. It says a universal replacement number 5044402 will work.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

322bnh
    It is probably the cables that are frozen: soak with penetrating oil or wd40 and if still not free, remove and have a yard equipment repair place duplicate. The heater control valve (ranco valve) will not usually become unmovable, but they are a source of leaks and can be rebuilt. Loose bearings on the blower motors can stabilized with a sheet metal screw after drilling through the housing into the bearing.
    The front bearing is completely out of the motor housing,I was trying to find a way to pop it under those tabs that hold it without destroying them. Are you saying I can just screw it in place and reassemble the motor?

OK, I looked at some junk motors and see what you are talking about. Find a replacement. I will look one later tomorrow.