From the Reference Section:
- Auto Refinishing, featuring Brian Martin
- Body Cross Reference,A,B,C...
- 1967 Hood Scoop Installation Pattern

Thread: How easy is it to fit 1967 GS hoods scoops on a 1965 Special hood?

Question How easy is it to fit 1967 GS hoods scoops on a 1965 Special hood?

Dear Team Buick fans of tasteful "mods,"

I have a 1965 Buick Special wagon that I've "supersized" with a 445 cid Buick big-block V-8 engine. Back in 2013, I had the misfortune of having somebody put some "dings" in the driver's side door and next Monday, the car is going to the body shop to have these fixed. Some time ago, I purchased some used 1967 Gran Sport hood scoops. They were in tough shape, but I had the bezels chrome restored and purchased some nice reproduction inserts. This is what I now have:

Here is a close up of the bezel with the new chrome:

I'm somewhat on the fence about having these installed in part, because I do think I could make them functional, but that would involve changing the electronic fuel injection system which is more than I want to take on right now. Still, if it isn't too difficult, I could simply have them painted and installed as purely decorative.

I see that Bob has kindly put a template for installing 1967 hood scoops on this website:

https://www.teambuick.com/forums/con...lation-Pattern

However, it is a bit vague. Am I to assume that the passenger side scoop should be installed as the mirror image of the driver's side scoop with the dimensions reflected appropriately? Can this template be used on a 1965 hood as easily as a 1967 hood?

I'm really slammed for time this week so I can't put a lot of effort into mocking up the installation myself. I'm wondering if I give this template with a few instructions to the body shop they could successfully install the scoops so that they look nice or am I asking for trouble if I don't make a concerted effort to create a detailed template of my own.

Opinions solicited!

Cheers, Edouard
    Caretaker of a 1965 Buick Special "billy goat"!

I don't have a '65 hood here to look at, but I don't see why it would be a problem. The scoops were never offered on the '65, so if their location is not right, what does it matter? If they look nice, sticking to OE locations should not be a concern.

imho

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

Thanks, but I'll need to sweat the details on this one (Re: 1967 scoops on a 1965?)

Dear Bob and Team Buick members in favor of stylish "mods,"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I don't have a '65 hood here to look at, but I don't see why it would be a problem.
    Not only is it entirely possible, but a number of other 1965 owners have done this to their cars. I can't dig up an online photo at the moment, but it does look very nice. In my opinion these scoops look better on the 1965 Buicks because by 1967 GM was already saving money by reducing the chrome used on these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    The scoops were never offered on the '65, so if their location is not right, what does it matter?
    Unfortunately that isn't entirely true. Of course the hood isn't flat and therefore the scoops have to fit the contours of the metal. The 1967 scoops need to end up in approximately the same location on the 1965 hood as they are on the 1967 hood. I just won't have time to mock up these scoops before Monday when the car is headed over to the body shop. So this project will have to wait for another time.

Thanks for your feedback though!

Cheers, Edouard
    Caretaker of a 1965 Buick Special "billy goat"!