-
263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cranked 248ci for 1st Time

We have tools that we cannot figure out what they are for, and I am a tool nut. We now realize we could have gotten the car for free. The guy's mother told me Pic&Pull was coming tomorrow to pick the car up and give them $200, so she had dug the title out which is why she had it on her when we got there. They just wanted the storage buildings emptied at minimum cost. Fuel cells, auto parts, tire break-down tools, analyzers, timing lights (one like I have never seen before), and a huge Snap On tool chest that had rusted beyond repair.

The car is in unbelievable condition with only 45,000 miles on it (it was his dad's car). The front seats need some repair, and the headliner has collapsed. We found only two rust spots on it, right above each rear fender well. It will need a lot of polish and cleaning, but it is complete down to the original spare tire. One of the guys saw it first, and he made the offer, so he owns it - not me. There was another man on his way to look at the car, but he never showed up. Sweet deal.

That jack is a Snap On and works perfectly. I glommed on to it immediately. It was a day of "if you see it first, you got it for free".
    Attached Images Attached Images

How do you spell "Bandit!"?

For those who are interested, my buddy Mac rigged up a small fuel tank to bypass the fuel tank on the Marlin, put a battery, points, and plugs in the car, it it cranked up and ran like a top. He drove it around his place for a while (no brakes yet- rims had rusted to brake drums). I put the jack to work repairing a Kubota diesel mower (rebuilt gearbox). Next will be a video of rebuilding the '50 Buick fuel pump and blowing out the fuel lines. I am anxious to get the Buick on the road. I am close.

I do have a question. Will the Buick gauges, radio, and clock work on 12 volts? I can set it up to run a split 12v/6v system (two 6v batteries in series). Ignition and headlights would be 12v, rest of car would be 6v.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=

I do have a question. Will the Buick gauges, radio, and clock work on 12 volts? I can set it up to run a split 12v/6v system (two 6v batteries in series). Ignition and headlights would be 12v, rest of car would be 6v.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Oil pressure will work, temp might, have serious doubts about any other "gauges" besides the speedo operating accurately on 12 volts. Clock won't work, radio won't work. Dash lights will need to be in a 6 volt circuit, or be replaced with 12 volt equivelents.