Thread: 1978 Buick Lesabre 2dr Coupe 4.9L 301

Smile 1978 Buick Lesabre 2dr Coupe 4.9L 301

Hello everyone I have a Buick Lesabre and I need your help with a few things. The first thing that am trying to solve is my a/c system...the clutch on the compressor will not engage..so do I need a cycling switch that hooks to the accumulator or do I need a thermal swicth. Secondly, I am trying to restore my doors to factory settings...I need new hinges, latches and pins for my ride but I have exhausted all sources to find the parts. And lastly I need new window felt for both of my windows because the original material is breaking up...thanks all for your valued time.

a switch just turns power on and off. so, you can check which switch ( if either ) needs replacing by simply hotwiring directly from the battery +12 post directly to the compressor.

of course, a multimeter in 'voltage' or 'resistance' modes or 'continuity test' would also tell you if power was getting through, as would a Test Light.

the 301ci is actually a Pontiac variant.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    a switch just turns power on and off. so, you can check which switch ( if either ) needs replacing by simply hotwiring directly from the battery +12 post directly to the compressor.

of course, a multimeter in 'voltage' or 'resistance' modes or 'continuity test' would also tell you if power was getting through, as would a Test Light.

the 301ci is actually a Pontiac variant.
    Thanks Bob, I will try it and let you know the outcome.

It has been my experience with those type of A/C systems that the clutch doesn't cycle due to low refrigerant in the system. You can remove the plug from the pressure (cycling) switch and jump it with a u shaped piece of wire (careful not to ground it). The clutch will engage if it's good and the system will run, at that point check inside that it is getting cold or at least it is cooling down. If not shut it off before you damage the compressor. You will be low on Freon and oil for the system. You can charge it up with and oil shot and Freon and then it should work on its own.

That is an R12 system however it is very hard to find nowadays and crazy expensive when you do. You will most likely have to use R134 instead which is readily available but is wrong for that system. To convert correctly a low pressure port adapter has to be added and several orifices need to be changed as well as the receiver/dryer and hoses. A full conversion however should repair any leak you have in the system. I have had success to getting A/C's working without doing the full conversion but it does leak out again over a couple of months.

Sorry to hear about the 301, I'm truly not a fan. It's a shame as that car could have also been ordered with a 305, 2 350's and the 403 but it is what it is.
    I had that engine in a 79 Olds Delta 88 Royale, it self destructed at 76k hence my dislike for it. The items your looking for are common across the GM line so parts from any 2dr from 77-86 should work for you. Steele Rubber Products www.steelerubber.com/ makes loose window felt that you would have to remove and reuse your metal parts for. That would be your only choice as these cars are redheaded stepchildren in the collector world with very little support. - Bill

EDIT: I should add that if you are going to use R134 in an R12 system it should first be fully evacuated with a vacuum pump to remove any R12 and it's oil that's still in the system. I have always done this as the 2 different Freon's are not compatible with each other. Mixing them can do more harm than good including destroying the compressor seals and blowing out O rings.

The door hinge pins are all GM part no 20046147. While researching this number, a Dorman hinge rebuilding kit, their no 703-264, came up. This kit contains the hinge pins and press-in bushings. This kit might restore the hinges if straps and other pieces are OK.

There are still some NOS hinge assemblies and straps available out there by researching the GM part nos. These can be researched further if the hinge rebuilding kit is not enough. Can also dig up nos for the other items after learning more about options on the car.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)