Thread: just a guy and his pontiac lemans buick v6

Cool just a guy and his pontiac lemans buick v6

Hi. I have been searching for a good forum to supply needed info on the Buick 231 V6 I noticed they have gotten quite rare... I swapped my motor in my 79 lemans a few years ago without even knowing its been so long i forgot wish I wouldn't have.
    The motor and car only had 28k on it I got it as my first car at 13 I'm 20 now. I found a few online for sale. only a handful that is, Contacted all of my Junkyards and nobody has one. I only know of my 1 Friend in Ohio who has one from an 80 Regal with 44K miles on it. Perfect!
    My next step is to find a good weekend to take the 6-hour trip down there, hear it run to take the car for a drive to see how the motor handles etc...
    Then start helping him Remove it with the trans together. (I hope) From then on is to Remove my SBC 350/TH400 I put in my car (Well my father did) I was never a V8 guy Unless it's Diesel Which I own (3) V8 Diesels.

From there on, I just want to replace some components Water Pump, Thermostat, Gaskets Etc... Oh, and my friend is keeping the Carburetor so I need to find one online. Prefer Stock replacement.
    Anyone know of good places for them? I think these only came with 2bbl (2 barrel)

Maybe I'll get some good from this forum if not I'll keep looking thanks for checking out my post!

most of the v6 guys are into the Turbo applications.

you can find a lot of parts that apply from the Buick small blocks and Land Rover v8s.

www.TAPerformance.com has pretty much everything up to new block castings.

http://www.beforeblack.net/ will have a lot of good info for you.

we've got a couple of old magazine articles on building the NA v6, the best is probably here:
    https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...aker_buick.php
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    most of the v6 guys are into the Turbo applications.

you can find a lot of parts that apply from the Buick small blocks and Land Rover v8s.

www.TAPerformance.com has pretty much everything up to new block castings.

http://www.beforeblack.net/ will have a lot of good info for you.

we've got a couple of old magazine articles on building the NA v6, the best is probably here:
    https://www.teambuick.com/reference/...aker_buick.php

Awesome thank you, Glad you noticed i wanted to stay NA/Stock. I'd really only upgrade the Intake, Air filter and Carb to be a little more-high performance.

well, the 'best' performance upgrade in your NA engine package would be the 4.1L ( 252ci ). that comes from the factory with a 3.965" bore, which you're never going to get out of a 3.8L block, and is the same size externally. and it was also available from 1980-84 ( although not in the Le Mans ), so it would be "period correct" if anybody asked.

if you're going with a professional build, you could contact Baker and see if they're still building Buick v6s. i think the last time i went looking they were still in business up in Grand Rapids Michigan.

if you want to live dangerously, you can also occasionally find old circle track Late Model engines from back in the day on sites like RacingJunk.com

obviously, a 30 year old circle track engine is probably pretty well thrashed. they were getting close to 500 hp out of those silly things though.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)