- Buick 400, 430, 455 Engine Specifications
- Buick Staging Chart
- Differences Between 1970-71 And 1972 and Later Type Block
- Head Flow Chart
- Cam Button
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick over my star wars air cleaner base

Sick over my star wars air cleaner base

I won’t go through all the gory details but I suspect my wife threw out the base to my star wars air cleaner. I can’t find it and she doesn’t remember and I can’t find it anywhere.

My question; has anyone used a different base, say from an edelbrock air cleaner, to use with the star wars air cleaner? I suppose I could try and make one but I have never fab’d metal and would not do a good job.

Suggestions? Anyone please. I am sick over this.

This has been discussed MANY times on V8buick.com Originals are going for pretty good $$$. There is an alternative. Not original, but OK.
    Tom Telesco
    Classic and Muscle Automotive
    12 Cook St.
    Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
    Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
    NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
    Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
    Custom forged pistons
    Front & rear neoprene seals
    Many other "Nail" parts
    "If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Yes i did a search

Quote Originally Posted by telriv View Post
    This has been discussed MANY times on V8buick.com Originals are going for pretty good $$$. There is an alternative. Not original, but OK.

What I was wondering is does someone know of a specific base from some other source that will work.

Thanks for your reply.

One more thing........

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadula51 View Post
    What I was wondering is does someone know of a specific base from some other source that will work.

Thanks for your reply.
    What is the alternative you refer to?

but I suspect my wife threw out the base to my star wars air cleaner. I can’t find it and she doesn’t remember and I can’t find it anywhere.

hanh.

while an air cleaner BASE is exactly the kind of thing a woman would parse as "junk" and wouldn't pay much attention too, if she did remember it, that's exactly the kind of thing she'd lie about not remembering.

no, i don't know what the alternate base is.

there was a reproduction unit being made some time ago, i'm not sure if he's still in business.

http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/67GSaircleaner.htm
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I would like to do some comparisons with Star vs some other air cleaners I have. some pictures comparing the 67 430 air cleaner vs the star wars job may be instructive on
    how to mod the former to fit.

Ted
    Ted Nagel
    (6)65 Wildcats; 65 Riviera; 65 Special Wagon; 65 GS; 65 Skylark; 67 Wildcat; 67 California GS; (2)68 GS400; 69 GS 350; 70 GS Stage 1; Wanted: time to fix 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Nagel View Post
    I would like to do some comparisons with Star vs some other air cleaners I have. some pictures comparing the 67 430 air cleaner vs the star wars job may be instructive on
    how to mod the former to fit.

Ted

Ted, Are you asking me for pics of my star wars air cleaner? If not, then I am not following.

What I see as a problem with the Performance Group air cleaner is the base. The base in the Buick version is formed to fit tightly over a Rochester carb and to use a smaller diameter filter than you would usually find. I can understand how loosing a base would be a problem. The hood clearance in the '67 GS is probably 1/2", so nothing to work with. I would look at BBC Corvette bases where you might find one that sits low over the carb. Then you will still have the work of fabricating a ring to take the filter and fitting that ring on the Corvette base.

WEBNOTE: When inserting an email in a posting, use the "smilie" @ so that web robots don't pick up your address and send you more junk mail!
    Members can be contacted by clicking on their "handle", but you are much better off to post to the thread!

I have many air cleaners, I started to compare them to my own 67 "Star Wars" air cleaner base.
    There is a possibility the 67 430 air cleaner base could be modified to work for the "Star Wars" one.
    I just like to check these things out.
    Ted Nagel
    (6)65 Wildcats; 65 Riviera; 65 Special Wagon; 65 GS; 65 Skylark; 67 Wildcat; 67 California GS; (2)68 GS400; 69 GS 350; 70 GS Stage 1; Wanted: time to fix 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Nagel View Post
    I have many air cleaners, I started to compare them to my own 67 "Star Wars" air cleaner base.
    There is a possibility the 67 430 air cleaner base could be modified to work for the "Star Wars" one.
    I just like to check these things out.
    Thanks Bob and Ted. I will keep searching and will check out the corvette forum. I am also going to search my yard and house again. Maybe it is in an unmarked storage bin. We did a fall purge last year and maybe just misplaced rather than thrown away.

Thanks again.