Thread: Hello

Hello

Hi, I'm Dan. I just drove my 68 GS 400 700 miles and remembered what the bad old days of gas mileage were like! A 15 gallon tank means stopping every hundred miles of so, to be sure you don't have to walk to the next gas station. Time for a tune up...

It's a very pretty convertible 4-Speed that will remain as stock as possible. I might try a pertronix ignition or some other update that can't be seen to help with the mileage issue. I'd like to drive it a lot without worrying about reliability and the like. It runs fine, has good compression and plenty of power. I might have to take the carb off and rebuild it this winter.

I also have a '58 Special drag car with an iron 455, T-10 truck tranny and a 12-bolt from a Chevelle. Blew the engine after 4 years of hard use and I'm thinking about what to do next. Probably an aluminum block this time.

Probably an aluminum block this time.

a Tomahawk block? nice. raised cam / deck or you plan to stick with the stock timing cover and intake?

or some other update that can't be seen to help with the mileage issue.

200r4 swap would get you OD as well as a shorter first gear.

or you could pull one of these new 6 speed automatics out of a 1 ton pickup. that would get you at least 2 OD gears and a lockup convertor in a trans that can hold 800 lb-ft all day long. you'll be running 70mph @ 1200 rpm.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

I replaced the M21 in the GS with a 22 a few years ago. I like how it feels, and have raced 800+ HP with Muncie 4 speeds for a long time. The reason for the T10 in the 58 is it's super tall first gear. I threw away a thousand pounds of chrome but it still weighs a lot, so I needed a big gear to get a reasonable launch. Before the motor blew it was putting out at least 900 and I never had a tranny problem. Ate up a lot of clutches, though...

Can't keep the 68 approximately stock with a modern transmission. I thought about putting an overdrive behind the Muncie, but can't figure out how to hide the button.

you can put an electric switch anywhere. like under the dash or the seat or something.

heck, you could rewire the high beam switch to run the OD unit.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)