Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Getting started here

Just Getting started here

Greetings.. I am John.. Just getting into the classic car scene. Purchased a '64 skylark convertible and will (hopefully) have it on the road in a week or three

It will need a paint job (the previous owner painted it a different color than stock!). I want to bring it back to the 'Diplomat Blue' that it was born in..

Can anyone recommend a paint shop in the Boston are that will do a good job? No body damage at all and tiny spot of rust on one wheel well!

Finally on the road

Got my baby back on the road today. It drives nicely.. Need to start building a (somewhat lengthy) list of jobs that need to be done..

you have the 300ci or the 225ci?
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

Government schooling is about "the perfect organization of the hive."
    H.H. Goddard, Human Efficiency (1920)

It has a 300 cubic inch V8 with the 2bbl carb. Original engine and drive train.

if you're interested in upgrading, the 'correct' Buick alum 4 barrel intake can be tough to find as it's a one year only piece. and the 1965 cast iron 4 barrel isn't any easier + the runners don't properly match your heads.

however, you could pull an intake off of a 70s or 80 Land Rover and it will work.
    The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
    Vladimir Lenin

I already noticed that parts like that are difficult to find Fortunately I want to keep the car as original as I possibly can. Going to have it repainted back to the factory "Diplomat Blue" over the winter. The only 'upgrade' I have done so far is to put in a dual like master cylinder and will put in a brake booster too. Other than that it's original if possible, stock replacement where necessary..

It's a 54 year survivor, I want to keep it that way.

John

cool.

are you going to show us some 'before' pictures or do we just have to wait for the paint job to be done?
    Vladimir Lenin

oh, i forgot to point out, the Rover forums are a hotbed for these parts, given that the engines are so close.

if you need backup parts ( 2 barrel intake, say ), you could probably pick up one for shipping costs since most people are looking for performance upgrades.

http://forum.britishv8.org/list.php?11

and one of the main engine builders / vendors for the US Rovers also has a lot of stuff that will work for you:
    www.aluminumv8.com
    Vladimir Lenin

Quote Originally Posted by bob k. mando View Post
    cool.

are you going to show us some 'before' pictures or do we just have to wait for the paint job to be done?
    Of course ... Should I post to a specific forum or is there somewhere else to post them..

I have them in Classic Buicks on Facebook too.

there would be no problem with you posting them to this thread.

'Bench Racing' or 'Projects and Journals' would be other candidates if you want to start a thread specifically about your car.
    Vladimir Lenin