263 Head X-Sections
    - Building a High Performance Straight Eight
- Buick Straight Eight Lifter Adjustment
- Straight Eight Intake Manifold X-Sections
- Straight Eight Oil Supply Update
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 1951 Special with Engine Issues

Hi,
    I finally had a chance to replace the fuel filter. After having done that I could see that the fuel appears to be fairly clear and also seems to be flowing well, but now the engine will crank and catch but almost immediately cut off. So I'm suspecting that maybe I should probably take a closer look at the carburetor next.

Pat
    - 1951 Buick Special Deluxe 4Dr Tourback Sedan

I went ahead and pulled the climatic control nob off the carburetor to check out the coil inside. I was afraid that I may have over tightened it while adjusting it the other day, so I wanted to ensure that everything inside was OK.

Other than a bit of soot inside, which I tried to clean off, everything else looked ok, so I reassembled it and set it t 1pt Rich per the shop manual.

I also double checked my fluid levels. A few weeks ago I had filled (or thought I had filled) the radiator, but when I checked today, the level was low and it took over two gallons to bring the level up to/near the fill line. I'm not sure why the level was so low today, as I have never seen any leakage under the car. But hopefully it is now filled appropriately. In general the oil level appeared to still be correct, although I could see some new leakage on the engine block.

Other than that I discovered that the tank level indicator appears to now be off, as it shows only about 1/4 tank, although the tank now appears to be full.

Unfortunately I am still running into the issue where the engine will turn over but then immediately stop. I have replaced the primary fuel filter, but guess I next need to check the fuel pump, and strainer at the carburetor (as described in the shop manual). I can see that fuel is flowing into the fuel filter, though it still looks a bit dark, whereas the fuel I have recently put in is almost clear/very pale yellow.

As I mentioned above I want to try and check out the strainers/fittings on the carburetor and fuel, but since the fuel looks off color and the tank level gage seems off I am also concerned about the fuel tank itself and whether it is overly sludgy or dirty and whether that may be clogging the line to the pump.

Pat

'51

Stay with it. You will figure it out.

Ben

Thanks. I have to admit, although I wish the car was working correctly, it does feel a little rewarding to be able to tray and figure things out as I go. Though at times I do feel like I am in over my head :O

over your head

That is why we are here.

Ben

Hi,
    Thanks for all your help

Eventhough I know that the fuel gauge is off, which may also mean that there may be other issues in the fuel tank, right now I intend to fist start looking at the carburetor. Since I can see that there is fuel in the fuel filter, I'm hoping that this suggests that the fuel pump is at least getting a reasonable flow of fuel out of the tank and up to the filter.

When I recently replaced the filter element I ended up having to by some extra fuel line hose for the inlet connection. Since I still have about 1 1/2 ft of this tubing left I will probably go ahead and replace the existing tubing from the fuel filter outlet to the carburetor, just to make sure that there are no blockages in the existing line.

After that I'm also hoping to double check the carburetor inlet strainer. Hopefully it won't rain (at least not too much) this weekend.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement.

Pat

Hi,

I replaced the fuel line/tube from the fuel filter to the carburetor this weekend. In doing this I drained the fuel that was in the filter. Afterwards when I tried to start the engine, it briefly turned over but quickly cut off again, like before. However, afterwards I could see that fuel had flowed into/through the filter and that this fuel looked relatively clean. As such, I believe that the fuel pump appears to be working and that fuel is flowing OK from the tank (at least to some degree).

As such, I guess my next step is to take a closer look at the carburetor. When I replaced the fuel line I tried to locate the strainer but didn't see it, at that time. So I guess I may try my hand at stripping down the carburetor, cleaning and rebuilding it.

Pat

Hi,
    I think that I may have finally tracked down what may be causing at least part of my issues. I pulled the auto-choke/climatic controls off again and double checked the metal coil and reinstalled everything. From the looks of it, it may have been connected to the arm to the choke plate incorrectly. After reinstalling the assembly the engine will now run for a short period (15-20sec), rather than immediately cutting out. As such, I suspect that the incorrect connection between the coil and choke plate arm may be a large part of my problem. Since the engine still cuts out though after a while I'm thinking that it may be possible that the coil needs to be totally replaced, since it may have been damaged/stretched from the auto-choke having been mis-set previously.
    Pat

Hi,
    Although I have continued to try and work on my car, I recently discovered a leak in my cooling system. As such, between my engagement and work, I realize that I probably no longer have the time or money to do what is really needed to bring my car up to where I hoped I could. As such, I am probably going to put it up for sale.

Pat