Thread: 1953 Super trunk panel

1953 Super trunk panel

Anybody know where I could find driver's side cardboard trunk panel? Tried all the usual Buick parts houses.

In all my years of auto upholstery, I have not seen any company that makes them. I suggest that you find an auto upholstery supplier and get a sheet of coated package tray board and cut it to fit. Most of the time you can use the other side as a pattern by just flipping it over. The differences are usually small, like cutouts for fuel filler tube or an attachment to secure a jack, but the basic shape is the same.
    Some models use just the coated cardboard, while the more deluxe models might use the trunk mat material glued to the cardboard. Good luck.
    Best Regards,
    Ron

Looking around on the Internet, the following places show cardboard trunk sets for the '53 Super 2-door (possibly can be cut down to fit a 4-door?):

www.classicbuicks.com
    www.oldbuickparts.com
    www.collectorsautosupply.com
    www.repops.com (may be the supplier for the others listed)

Another forum user reported this place custom made a good set of panels for his '57 Buick from a sample:

www.musclemaniacstore.com

Was going to look up these panels in the Buick parts book printed in 1960. But trunk lining items for '53 and earlier had already been discontinued.

Hope this provides some new information.
    What has been, can be again. (Bob Wills, 1942)

Thanks Ron and Todd for the info. I'm trying to match the original cardboard pattern and texture. The trunk bottom and passenger side panel are both in good condition, but the driver's side panel is totally gone. I relooked at the web sites, but they appear to have newer styles. I realize I am looking for a needle in a haystack. I'll keep at it for a while, but probably end up with some heavy cardboard, a couple pints of paint and a stipple bush, and try my best to match the passenger side. Thanks again.

Done

Decided to forego the stippling to match existing, just cut heavy cardboard, painted all 3 side flat black. Not show quality, but not bad either. Better than raw metal and wires everywhere.